The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Air duct-need opinions asap...

vtecds1

On my never ending quest to try and solve my civic radiator problem, I decided to try an add an air duct. I have 2 options on doing this and I need peoples opinion on what would be more beneficial.

1. Having it curve up(almost like a quarter pipe) starting under the FMIC. The space between the sheet and FMIC would be 1-2".

2. Having it just straight down and about 2-3inches(if not more) lower than the FMIC.

Let me know which one you guys think will flow more air to my radiator. I`m trying to finish this tonight so that I can compare my results from last night. Thanks...

DR1665

I'm gonna go with the curve, as it should direct the airflow upward more smoothly. I'd also make sure the top and sides of that radiator are walled-off to force the air through it, otherwise you'll just be accelerating air past the fins.

Andy_S

I vote neither. Any ducting like that will likely create a high pressure area before the radiator. That high pressure area will cause air to go under your car, not through it. If you have a cooling problem, you need to find the real problem. Ducting would just be a bandaid IMO.

citymunky

his problem is the civic radiator.

Andy_S

Then he should get a bigger or thicker core. A lot of people have success but if its not doing its job, its not doing its job.

kartorium

I agree with Andy. Double up the core or go to a radiator with more surface area.

I wouldn't expect any of those options you show to make a positive difference. However, you've gotten that far with the duct, you might as well mount it and see for yourself.

GSX_TC

I wonder if a V mount setup is possible with these cars. that way you can get equal air to both the intercooler and radiator

rdomeck

Seems like your duct work will push air up and not in! It might not let the air that is able to get in above the FMIC to push into the radiator. Find the reason for your overheating....To small of radiator. I have a honda radiator in my shop that would fit nicely in my car, but they are half the size of the stock one. How is something half the size supposed to cool the same or better as the stock one?

boosted_85

I'm running a cheap eBay civic radiator with one 10in. Puller fan with a homemade fan shroud with no overheating issues at all. Maybe do a coolant flush and see if there is anything plugged up.

vtecds1

Here's my other
Thread .

The reason I went with a civic radiator is because of my setup. When i had a full size radiator, there was absolutely no room and my piping was in chaos. For now, I'm just trying every possible ideas that come into mind to see if I can make it work. My cooling system is fine other than it's not getting enough air past the fmic and condensor. The car does not overheat at idle. I would just like my temps to be a little lower than they are. If all else fails, at least I tried. With that being said, I will try it out tomorrow to see if it drops the temps. If not, my next option is the drop the ac or get a scirrocco radiator.

Last edited:

boosted_85

Try to make a shroud from bumper opening including the grill opening to the condenser than another one from condenser to radiator with a radiator plate up top.

dewman

Didn't someone do a air duct for their fmic with diamond plate?

My question is sort of two fold. First, how are you determining the actually temp of the coolant?, and second, why are you trying for lower running temps?

vtecds1

Quoting boosted_85:
Try to make a shroud from bumper opening including the grill opening to the condenser than another one from condenser to radiator with a radiator plate up top.

I will be making some for the sides between the fmic and condensor tomorrow. Looking on making one around the hood latch also.

Quote:
My question is sort of two fold. First, how are you determining the actually temp of the coolant?, and second, why are you trying for lower running temps?

Ecmlink and check the link i provided for my current temps.

Last edited:

I read your other thread. You never said specifically why you are trying for lower temps. You only mention that you want them lower. I'm only asking because I don't understand what (if any) the actual problem is. 203-206F isn't overheating.

cheekychimp

Kenny LOL, I can see where you got your title. Neither your link to that original thread or the one to that fan your shop suggested you buy work.

I think this is the thread you wanted to post Link

To be honest if you want to get your temps back to the sort of levels you originally had, I too am beginning to think that this might not be very successful. Imagine how much ducting you would need to get as much air into the engine bay or more particularly around the radiator as you achieved by removing the hood and according to your results that hasn't achieved the desired result either.

I don't have any logs for you at present but remember I am living in Hong Kong in a tropical climate. I couldn't afford to ditch my A/C but running the Holset HX35/40 didn't leave me a great deal of room either. I ended up doing a custom setup which reduces the size of the A/C condenser and a slightly smaller radiator and Honda DC5 Integra Type R fans. It works very well here even in our 38 degree centigrade summer weather, albeit I haven't done any huge pulls but at idle with no airflow it copes without issue.

If you don't solve this and want to retain the A/C, I'll see if I can post up more pics of my setup.

Paul

I thought that maybe my phone wouldn't let me view the links, 'cause that happens sometimes.

Quoting dewman:
Didn't someone do a air duct for their fmic with diamond plate?

Yes.

Me.

Still the sweetest mod I've ever done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

turbowop

I still don't understand why people run Civic radiators. I run a FP3052 with a 2-216 core while retaining AC/PS/CC and the stock radiator. It seems configuring certain turbos to work with the stock radiator would be more cost effective than trying to purchase and make Civic radiators work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

vtecds1

^^^^Here's a pic of my old set up with a oem style radiator.

The car was done this way by the PO. If I were to try and go back that route, I would have to buy a new manifold, modify my downpipe and o2 housing. I would most likely have to replace my wastegate with something smaller and route the dump where it would not hit anything. With all those things I would have to do...the civic radiator route was a cheaper alternative. With the cost of buying the radiator, cap, extra fan, snips and duct...I`m only in it for $100(-$80 for my old radiator).

I've been reading some threads of people doing some duct work and have had decent results. If it doesn't work, I still have the option of going with a smaller radiator or deleting the ac. I found a scirocco radiator for $90 shipped so that would be my next move if anything...

Quoting galant1517:
I read your other thread. You never said specifically why you are trying for lower temps. You only mention that you want them lower. I'm only asking because I don't understand what (if any) the actual problem is. 203-206F isn't overheating.

It's not overheating but with the weather were currently having, I think it should be lower than that. I can only imagine what the temps will be like when summer comes along.

Quoting cheekychimp:
Kenny LOL, I can see where you got your title. Neither your link to that original thread or the one to that fan your shop suggested you buy work.

I hate ipads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

If you could post up a picture of your set up and some details, that would be great. I was thinking of installing a smaller condenser, but I really haven't done too much research on it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts