The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starting Issue

jmorri15

I am copying and pasting from the ecm forum cause I would love more advice.

Here is my first post
Quote:
So I just got my engine back from the machine shop and installed everything, in the process I ripped out my old SD setup which was a hks vpc and replaced it with v3lite.
My setup is as follows,
1992 GVR4
2.3L 8.5:1
FIC 850
Greddy 18g milled to a 20g
Gm 3bar map sensor
HKS IAT Sensor
Stock cams and head
255LPH Fuel pump
So i try to start the car and it cranks over but will not catch. you can see that its getting fuel because the o2 sensor is reading progressively more fuel, I have been reading for a few weeks and I thought it was possible I wired up the Map sensor wrong so I got the cable from ecm tuning however it still wont start.
Any suggestions on where to look would be much appreciated.
Attached is a log of the last attempted startup

only response I got
Quote:
Something seems very odd with the O2 sensor signal, so I don't think that you can infer anything about the injector operation from its reading. It should be impossible that a working NB sensor would read anything but full lean unless the mixture for the most part ignites in the cylinders. One possibility, though, is that the mixture is igniting in the cylinders but the timing is so far oflf that the engine can't produce any power. Seems pretty far-fetched though.

Problem #2 is that the GM 3-bar signal isn't reaching the ECU. The ECU doesn't pay much attention to is while cranking, but if the engine did catch, it probably wouldn't stay running.

Dave

My response
Quote:
I guess I can pull the harmonic balancer and see if the timing is off however I set it all before I put the engine in the car so that doesnt make sense. How far off are we talking about when it comes to the timing?
As far as the map sensor reaching the ecu I thought I had the inputs all correctly assigned. The plug seemed like it might not have been plugged in all the way but it is still reading the same.
Another thing I failed to mention was that the car did have an alpine security system that I discovered when I removed the VPC, I just twisted together the place where it was wired up to cut off my fuel relay. Could that be causing a problem?
The gas is also a year old so I am going to drain the tank and put new in.

Here is the log for the last startup I tried
Log From Startup Attempt

vr4play

Did you do aftermarket valve springs or retainers by chance. I had an issue once where I was trying to hurry and put something together and didn't notice I was sold 420A retainers that fit perfect except for the shoulder is a little different and the valves where being help open just enough the the car wouldn't start. Me and the machinist missed it.

Last edited:

jmorri15

i dont believe so, my head was toast so i picked up a used head off one of my buddies laser till i get the funds to have mine rebuilt. ill find out tomorrow.
Ill do a compression test and see what happens

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned