The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idles lower and lower

Hey guys, Im pretty new to the site and have been battling an issue. When my car warms up, it start to idle lower and lower until it will cut it self off. Has anyone else had this problem. If so, what can I try to fix it. Thanks

GSX_TC

You either have lots of vaccum leaks or your ISC isn't working, either way you should just send your throttle body to Steve Monroe at throttlebodys.com and have him rebuild it. After he did mine, Ive always had a rock solid idle ever since

SouthCaliVR4

Check your base idle. the small screw head in a cavity on the throttle body. OE is a small black rubber plug covering the screw. Sounds like the idle was set cold & as the cold idle valve closes your idle drops off to stall.

fuel

also pull the throttle elbow and check for crap collecting around the edges of the throttle plate which gradually blocks air bypassing the edges of the throttle plate (which it is meant to do). If the idle speed fluctuates up and down by say 500rpms or so over a second or two then it points to a faulty ISC.

jrschultz

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Check your base idle. the small screw head in a cavity on the throttle body. OE is a small black rubber plug covering the screw. Sounds like the idle was set cold & as the cold idle valve closes your idle drops off to stall.

This right here helped me. My car would idle about 500 rpm, and if I had my lights on with the heat blowing it would stall out on occasion. I let the car get to operating temperature, turned on every accessory possible, and adjusted the idle screw to 750 rpm. Now she's perfect without any stumbling.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned