The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch Pedal Assembly Welding?

OZRally

Was just wondering if someone can instruct us where to weld the nut/pedal assembly. I do my own welding and was just wondering how it's done. I had an unsprung act 6 puck with 2600 pressure plate. I have to use 2 shims on the fulcrum ball and have the clutch master on the last threads before the relief valve closes. I still get about an inch of disengagement. It's been getting worse and worse. Last clutch install I only had to shim the fulcrum once and had about an inch and a half disengagement. I will be replacing the bushings but just need guidance on where to weld the pedal assembly.
Thanks

Brunoboy

i just started a thread like this...:
click

GSX_TC

There's 2 pieces that need to be welded together, the clutch pedal is one long piece that goes up and then goes more along across the other pedals, than at the end of that is a piece that has a circular shape with a flat spot on it, that meets the 2nd piece we are talking about here, this 2nd piece is a much smaller one about 4 inches long and 1inch high. It has a hole in it that the clutch pedal goes into perfectly. Thats where the weld would be done. This will have to be done in the car which will be pretty freaking tight getting up in there to weld it.

It's much easier to just buy these 2 parts new from the dealer man. Takes a few hours to pull out and install.

Last edited:

OZRally

There's no problem removing the assembly or rebuilding it. I just want to know where to weld. Does the pedal have to be loaded (pressed all the way down) while welding or having it rest at it's normal position?

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Oh god no lol you would leave it at it's normal position then weld it.

OZRally

Quoting GSX_TC:
There's 2 pieces that need to be welded together, the clutch pedal is one long piece that goes up and then goes more along across the other pedals, than at the end of that is a piece that has a circular shape with a flat spot on it, that meets the 2nd piece we are talking about here, this 2nd piece is a much smaller one about 4 inches long and 1inch high. It has a hole in it that the clutch pedal goes into perfectly. Thats where the weld would be done. This will have to be done in the car which will be pretty freaking tight getting up in there to weld it.

It's much easier to just buy these 2 parts new from the dealer man. Takes a few hours to pull out and install.

I've never heard it needing to be welded on the car. How else does shep and others successfully have them done? I can have the pedal assembly out in 30 mins tops.

Brunoboy

your supposed to preload the pedal first, thats what it says in the writeup. to make things easier, place the clutch pedal at the same level as the brake pedal.

OZRally

Quoting GSX_TC:
Oh god no lol you would leave it at it's normal position then weld it.

Hahaha. Okay good, that's mostly what I needed to know. I saw a writeup saying it needed to be loaded while welding, just wanted to confirm which one it was.

GSX_TC

Quoting OZRally:
Quoting GSX_TC:

I've never heard it needing to be welded on the car. How else does shep and others successfully have them done? I can have the pedal assembly out in 30 mins tops.

If u can have it out in 30 mins, then you sir are talented. I would pay to see that

OZRally

Been a tech at Midas for 5ish years. Things have to be done right and fast. I would collect cash at hand to have it out in 30 mins. Lol

Brunoboy

then you can do mine lol, if its not done in 30 minutes or less its free right!? lol

OZRally

Anyone have oem part numbers for any parts that need to be replaced? Pedal assembly, rod and bushings?

GSX_TC

Probably just gonna have to call the dealer on that one. There's no bushing where Those two pieces meet though, it's just 2 metal pieces going into eachother.

I wish I would of saved the old pieces that I changed out. That way I could post pics and it would be a bit more helpful.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

which part? ^ I heard theres a plastic bushing somewhere if you were to weld, you dont wanna melt it.

GSX_TC

I'm not sure where this plastic piece Is but I know it can't be that important since I just went from not being able to get into any gear at all to brand new feeling just by replace Those 2 metal pieces.

boostedinaz

Towards the bottom of the page. Shep offers metal bushing that will improve feel, life, and won't melt when the assembly is being welded.

click

OZRally

I got the assembly out in 40 mins. The part that took the longest was my wiring mess under the dash and getting the 21 year old steering shaft out. lol
Okay so another question here. I have 2 pictures of the pedals both up and down. Do I weld the nut while both pedals are down (cruise control switch side) or up (clutch switch side). I don't know what the hell they mean by pre-loaded!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

pics no worky

GSX_TC

this is the piece that the end of the clutch pedal meets that flange. thats where the excess play happens. and where it would need to be welded, can you get a better close up shot of the flange so i can see if thats the right thing before you go welding anything,

129435-0-0-0-1.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts