The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tons of electrical problems

So I finally figured out why my car keeps dying, turns out half of my wiring in the engine bay is beyond brittle and shorting everything out. It's to the point when I connect my battery the automatic seatbelts freak out and keep going back and forth violently, smoke starts coming from the engine bay from the wires.

I wish it were as simple and making new wires but half of them are at the ends of the plugs and I can't just solder it back together, are there any other alternatives to using other plugs? There's a few that I know I can fix with the push on female connectors but i.e what can I do with the one that goes to the top of the t-stat housing?

So annoyed at the point where I want to take a bat to the car haha.

TIA

EgonOlsen

Actually I just got a new Tstat top and when I removed the plug from the sensor I found there was no plug.
just 2 female small spade connectors 1 on each leg on the sensor. the rubber coat plug thing was there to put over it.

I guess that works just as well as the actual plug.

mikus

for most of it, you're unfortunately right - you're either soldering in new pigtails as needed or replacing the full harness (and lots of harnesses are just as brittle!)

Damnit, so I guess I'm just screwed and have to hopefully look for good condition harnesses or pigtails. Anyone have any spare harnesses? aha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

mikus

if I can't fix my MPI electrical/short (just posted in general) I'll have a whole car's worth available.

broxma

If you have specific plugs you need, I can chop them off cars at the yard and mail them to you. It's not a thing, really.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned