The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tranny fluid mix?

Brunoboy

I am running a Stage 2 TRE tranny, when i got it, it shifted beautifully, i did the first flush at 700 miles, and I have adjusted my clutch pedal correctly, i have adjusted the clutch switch for the most pedal travel, and i have bled the system with a new SS Braided line. Now I am experiencing high rpm 3rd gear grind only. I have put 1500 miles on the trans. It is 3 qts of MT-90. Any ideas why its doing this? I have added a Extended rod to see if the stocker wasnt pushing the plates far enough apart. If i ease into 3rd at high rpm it goes in like butter but the RPMS drop. I have a Ebay XTD Stage 4 6 puck unsprung clutch with a Fidanza Lightened Flywheel, OEM TOB, new clutch fork and pivot ball. Maybe I still have air in the system? toss ideas at me please. Thanks
-Shane

Brunoboy

Lol wish I could, you got him on speed dial? Ahaa yea my master cylinder fucked up again and I need a new one....

thecman02

Damn master cylinders are a joke. It really seems like luck of the draw. Bought a oem MC that lasted a few months. Bought a napa one that's lasted me almost two years now.

Brunoboy

I bought this one two months ago and it allows my clutch to drag... I hear that oem has a longer rod so it can adjust better. The one I have is on one thread and it's not enough. Pedal grabs one inch off the floor if not less.

Launch

MT-90 destroys our internals. Motul for big tq and RP synmesh for 400 and under

Brunoboy

Why was I told Redline is the best for ours cars?

boostedinaz

Quoting Launch:

Does it kill the synchros? I need to put fluids in 1101 tonight and a lot of locals with decent power seem to run 2 quarts of MT-90 and top off the rest with shockproof. One guy has makesalmost 500 at the wheels and autocrosses the car on a stock 2G tranny without a single issue.

Looking for input as well I guess.

Dark_Horse

Quoting Launch:

No...Just no.

I would think that TRE knows what tranny oil should go in the transmissions they rebuild.

TRE transmission oil recommendations
Jacks transmission oil recommendations

Jack (Jackstransmissions) and Jon (TRE) specifically say DO NOT use synchromesh...At all...Ever...In a DSM/GVR4 tranny.

Last edited:

boostedinaz

^^^^
Whew.

I was going back and rereading post I have saved from my research. Good to know since I am buying fluid today after work.

Brunoboy

Quoting boostedinaz:
Quoting Launch:

Does it kill the synchros? I need to put fluids in 1101 tonight and a lot of locals with decent power seem to run 2 quarts of MT-90 and top off the rest with shockproof. One guy has makesalmost 500 at the wheels and autocrosses the car on a stock 2G tranny without a single issue.

Looking for input as well I guess.

what kind of shockproof? heavy or lightweight?

boostedinaz

Heavy weight.

Brunoboy

it says on that site dont use shockproof.

alansupra94

I was under the impression to only run shockproof in the rear end.

Right now I have Pennzoil Sychromesh in my stock rebuilt DSM transmission. I remember reading several threads recommending it as it is the same as the GM Sychromesh.

boostedinaz

He only uses a bit bewteen .25 and .5 a quart mixed with 2 quarts of MT 90. He isn't using straight shockproof. He has a 2.3 with a 3052 so the extra viscosity helps with torque VS straight MT90.

Brunoboy

i run heavy shockproof in my transfercase and i was told to run it in my rearend too.

boostedinaz

Went and bought some fluids today after work. I grabbed 2 quarts of MT-90 and 3 quarts of heavy shock proof. I'll fill the rear and T case with shock proof and do the 2 quarts of MT-90 in the tranny then top it off with a little of the shock proof.

Once I getting it running I'll give some driving impressions.

Street Surgeon

In my Shep Stage4 I ran two quarts redline shockproof heavyweight and the rest was redline MT90, the car shifted great but it should have though since the trans was new. That current trans is out of the car for now but when she goes back in I'm switching to Motul Gear 300 as recommended by a wookie.

Brianawd

Was the clutch and flywheel brand new when you put the trans in? What is the step hight of the flywheel and what is the step hight supposed to be for the clutch you have?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts