The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car won't stay on

Alright guys, just got the car all done and now it won't stay on. The car idles around 750rpm but after a minute it dies out unless you tap the throttle a couple of times. Also, it vibrates more than usual, but I'm guessing its just from the open downpipe, not sure.
Just did all this to it:
16g
new head
2g exhaust mani
egr blockoff
removed charcoal canister
blocked off all unused vacuum sources
etc.
Did a compression test, all came out to be around 145psi, better than with the old head(burnt valves), checked the timing multiple times and made sure it was good, what could it be? And I'm not sure I put the cas in correctly, how do I know if its in the right way, or does it matter?

TIA

broxma

Still running the ISC?

If it dies for what appears to be no reason, it is almost always lean at death. If you have a wideband, watch your O2s right as it starts chugging and dying and I bet they go lean. After the car heats up and switches to it's non-cold start conditions, the rules for idle change a bit. You should get the car setup for the hot, running condition which may mean high idle until warm or you may have to stay on the gas a bit until it warms up, like with my car. My car has no electronic idle control however.

/brox

yeah still running an isc motor, actually tested the old one and replaced it with a good one off of my parts car, but i do have the fiav blocked off per this post on tuners.

GSX_TC

i did that same free mod on mine, but didnt fix the problem man. I just sent my throttle body to Steve Monroe at Throttlebodys.com and he rebuilt it with new everything and cleaned it up all nice and everything. all for only 150 bucks shipped. I HIGHLY recommend him to you. best 150 bucks i ever spent and now my idle is rock solid and never just dies anymore while sitting there like it always used to.

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

f3yyav.jpg

What do the two plugs next to the battery go?
312isfd.jpg

There's a random wire close to the throttle body that I'm not sure what it is supposed to connect to. Any ideas?
2naivwn.jpg

The plug that goes on top of the tstat housing is broken, most of the wires are getting brittle and I need to redo them, what is that one for?

For some reason the battery keeps dying everytime I try to start it now, could it be a bad ground or something? For the two grounds on the firewall, I have them connected to the intake mani, is that correct? If I put the charger on it, it'll take a while to start and then goes from 3k and eventually drops to ~750rpms and eventually dies out.

GSX_TC

the plug near the middle of the battery is the one for your hood. it goes in that little socket right near it. and the other one near the batter looks like the sensor that goes on the bottom of the radiator. or possibly even one for the main fan

and the random wire near your throttle body is most likely your idle switch. it goes on that little piece of metal on the edge of the throttle body with a tab sticking out.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

as for your last question, kinda sounds like your ALT isnt charging. try going to a local parts store like autozone or oriellys and do an ALT test and se if its doing its job. might as well do a batt test too.

The alternator was replaced a few months before I got the car, still looks brand new, but I'll take it off and have it checked tomorrow, and I'll fix the one wire for the throttle body.

GSX_TC

you dont have to take the ALT off, they have a test where they can test the ALT in the car. when i used to work for autozone back in the day i would do that test for customers all the time.

Haha, when I reverse out of my driveway the car dies as soon as I push the clutch in to put it into first, then I try to crank it over and then it cranks slow and stops and then I have to recharge the battery.

GSX_TC

yeah if thats the case then go ahead and pull it off and have it tested, also i would clean the terminals and batt posts up with a wire brush.

I agree,

I thought I had an alternator problem and I ended
Up just needing to tighten the bolts that held on the power cables
To the alternator.

I tried to pull one out of junk yard and reuse it, it worked but I was lazy during installation

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned