The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP68HTA vs. Hx35 for DD

cupajoe

Okay in about two weeks im going to pull the trigger on a new turbo, but I have a dilemma.

68HTA
-direct bolt on.
-$950 shipped(little steep)
-47lbs/min

hx35 rebuilt/Bep housing/o2 housing/tial wastegate
-$900 shipped.
- Have to buy new oil feed/return lines
- Have to buy new downpipe
-Dent waterpipe
-Might have to run a civic half radiator for clearance issue.($100)
-Going to need new piping fab'd up
-4" FP intake $125
-52lbs/min

My goals are 410-440awhp on 93 oct and stock block.

Honestly for everything I get with the holset I'm leaning towards that, but is it overboard for a DD? What do you think?

Other parts that are in the future plans:
-fp272
-880cc injector
-Cyclone IM(actuated correctly)

I have searched for 68hta vs. hx35 but there isnt much info on both compared.

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

If your goals are 410-440whp I wouldn't be considering an FP68HTA, not too many folks have seen those power levels with that particular turbo.

turbofonz

350+ will be attainable without too much trouble on the HTA. If you're so deadset on 400+, straight pump, you better have a VERY good tune, and well selected parts.

For a daily, I'd take the HTA. bolt it on and go. No need to worry about anything, compatability wise, maintence wise, etc.

Jesh

I take it your waiting for the PFD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm waiting to do the exact same thing, but I already have the hx35 just need the supporting parts turbine housing ect... I've heard good things about both turbo's. But personally I like what I hear about the hx35 over the 68hta.

68hta- spoolup 25psi: 3400rpm
hx35- spoolup 25psi: 3500-3600rpms with 8 blade compressor (7 blade is about 200-300rpms slower)
68hta-airflow rating: 47lbs
hx35-airflow rating: 53lbs with 8 blade compressor (7 blade will do 60lbs)

Also from what I've read the holset is far more durable than the hta. I personally think you would be happy with the holset. But in the end its your call.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

turbofonz

"Also from what I've read the holset is far more durable than the hta. I personally think you would be happy with the holset. But in the end its your call.
Hope this helps."

Sorry, but I disagree. On a Cummins, It might be a reliable turbo, but I've seen so many people blowing holsets. They're very picky with oil feeding, and if you don't have the right return/feed setup, you'll have issues.

HTA, bolt it on, and never worry about it. MHI turbo's are VERY reliable.

cupajoe

Quoting Jesh:
I take it your waiting for the PFD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm waiting to do the exact same thing, but I already have the hx35 just need the supporting parts turbine housing ect... I've heard good things about both turbo's. But personally I like what I hear about the hx35 over the 68hta.

Yup, waiting for the PFD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do like the idea of bolt on and go, but I would like to break 400awhp. Even if I have to run water/meth. Im just stuck between the two, can't argue reliability of MHI but with the proper oiling with the holset they can be very reliable/take a beating. Not only that but rebuild kits are very cheap.

desant78

I have a similar debate going on in my head. ...interested to see responses.

GSX_TC

Quoting Street Surgeon:
If your goals are 410-440whp I wouldn't be considering an FP68HTA, not too many folks have seen those power levels with that particular turbo.

theres a guy over here in san diego named Corey Jenson with a red 2G AWD that made 437WHP on a stock 7bolt with the HTA68

GSX_TC

here's his profile so you can see his mods

click

turbofonz

He's on e85 which is a BIG difference.

Hell I'm at the OP's HP numbers with an evo3 on e85. But pumpgas is a whole other story.

Street Surgeon

Couple of things I'd like to mention here, I know there are *some* people that have squeezed 400+ out of the HTA68 but a quick google search reveals that those folks are in the severe minority. Lucas English, Curt Brown, and maybe just a handful of others. The only other thing I'd mention is that IMO the HTA wheel is a little fragile. I bought a new FP68HTA, installed the turbo, double checked (cleaned and blew shop air through it) the intake pipe as well as installed a new K&N filter (also blew shop air through that just to be safe) and just 550-600ish miles later my compressor wheel was all torn up. I know for a fact that there was absolutely no FOD in the inlet tract as I was very, very OCD about that but FP says it was FOD that caused it and that's that.

Now I'm not bashing FP per se, heck the last three turbo's I've purchased have been FP (18G6SL2, FP3575, 68HTA) but I can tell you this is probably going to be the last one.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

thats crazy because FP turbos have such a great Rep behind them. i was gonna get an HTA68 here soon. but i just decided to push my EVO III first.

TRBODSM

Quoting GSX_TC:
here's his profile so you can see his mods

click

His location says California but it looks like he has Colorado plates on the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cupajoe

Do you guys think its worth the extra work for 5 lbs/min? I want a fun turbo for the street but be able to break 400awhp, and from what I can tell the 68hta only going to be able to push 330-360awhp on pump gas. Will the hx35 with a little more flow get me up to 400awhp?

GSX_TC

i would get an HTA68 man, you wont be disappointed

GSX_TC

FP green is also a great turbo, Tried and True

Oil feed & drain are crucial & must be setup right for the Holset otherwise you'll damage the turbo. The feed needs to be restricted & the drain line must be larger than normal. I consider normal to be -10AN. A -16AN drain would ideal for the Holset.

4thStroke

The cost up front for the Holset sounds appealing, but by the time you actually have the car on the road with the Holset, it will have cost you more money and frustration than you anticipated for a turbo with a garbage exhaust housing. The BEP housing is awful. I've always been a bit skeptical of guys who claim their 50+lb/min spools as quick as a 16G. Very few Holset cars have proven their worth where as the Garrett and MHI cars are proven and very effective.

The HTA68 is a true bolt on and go turbo. On pump gas, you may be hard pressed to make 400awhp on 93, but with methanol, you should be able to get it (although I highly frown upon methanol).

Compressor wheels don't just fall apart and chip themselves. The turbo had to have ingested debris. My brand new EvoIII 16G had a chip on each wheel when I pulled it off after just a few thousand miles. It always had a clean filter before it. My HTA3076R has the billet wheel and after 20k miles or so, the compressor wheel is still flawless.

thecman02

Just get the FP68HTA, as someone who used the hx40 bolt on. The bolt on housing quality sucks.

If you still decide to get the hx35. Get one of those low profile vband waste gates and you should have room for a stock radiator. 10an drain is fine. The feed needs to come off the filter housing. I believe if you order the hx35 from BEP they will supply you with a feed fitting that has a restrictor built in. Make sure you chase all the threads when you get the housing or you'll strip out bolts. Also purchase some nickel antiseize. That housing has problems being extremely sticky. I was getting around 40lb/m at 23psi. You could probably get 400whp with a decent tune on an hx35.

cupajoe

Okay well I'm leaning away from the hx35 because of all the extra work and time it'll be down as this is my daily. Also realized I'll have to pull the pan to weld in a -12 fitting for the drain.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to atleast get close to 400hp.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts