The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 GSX help/trouble shooting***Update***

Lancer99

This is kind of long.

Ok heres what I got going on. For some of you that remember, and after a couple years of JSB, finally finding out about the clutch pedal assembly was the cause of the clutch going out and not only did my dad still drive the car and then messed up the transmission. So now everything is hooked up and together, I go to start it and nothing...ok battery is dead, well duh for sitting for about a year. Tried to jump start it and everything has power and turn the key and heard it crank over but the battery didn't have enough juice to fully crank over. Okay maybe let it charge for a bit and then try it again, everything has power but sounds like the starter is out and wont turn over. Okay so then, for whatever reason I had, I tried to take off the starter but it was getting late so I said forget it and thinking that I might not get to it anytime soon and maybe forget about the starter, so I put it back in. Then I had an idea and I took the battery out of the VR-4 and I put it in the GSX and the horn just went off from the security alarm. So I tried to get the alarm to go off, no luck, so then I tried starting the car and the started just spins.

So now my questions is how the hell do I turn off the security alarm when putting in a new battery? And why is the starter just spinning?

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

Alarm, if factory; Lock & unlock drivers door with the key. If that doesn't work try the passenger door. If it's aftermarket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Starter is bad. I'd go into more detail but the gist of it is something froze up & it's not engaging the bendix. you might be able to mess around with it & free it up but I wouldn't trust it.

Lancer99

Starter I don't mind replacing and I've tried the locking and unlocking part, that was my action before anything. And it's factory nothing aftermarket on this car besides the clutch.

SouthCaliVR4

You may have to pop the door panel & check to see if the switch is still attached to the back of the lock cyl. last ditch try the rear hatch. Do all this with everything closed including the hood.

Lancer99

Ok I'll do that on this Sunday since thats my next day off and see if that works. Thanks ^

transparentdsm

Quoting Lancer99:
Starter I don't mind replacing and I've tried the locking and unlocking part, that was my action before anything. And it's factory nothing aftermarket on this car besides the clutch.

did you try removing the security fuse, then instal battery shut all the doors, lock them unlock them then re-install fuse and try turning it over.

Lancer99

So yesterday I finally got around to work the Eclipse. Anyways first thought since the starter sounded like it was just spinning, I thought I would just swap starters with the VR-4's. I thought there was no differences between the two since they were both AWD and manual. After taking the starter off the Eclipse I put them side by side and realized that that VR's starter was a inch longer. I know there's a difference between FWD and AWD, and I know the Eclipse is all stock with 87,xxx miles on it and I don't know the full history of the VR-4 but which one is the right starter? both are mitsu since they say their on them. Also after swapping starters and having my dad charge the battery the damn thing started up with no problems, not even the factory alarm was going off like it did before?! It had a rough idle, from sitting for almost two years but smoothed out after a couple mins.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts