The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear end swap, abs delete brake lines, rim fitment

Lucas03ES

Okay I've got a 1990 tsi awd donor car. I took the non-abs brake lines out and they bolted right into the galant, but the ports don't mate up properly to the lines on the proportioning valve that is from a non-abs galant. Should I just use the tsi valve or get the lines bent to the galant ports?

Next, the car has a 3-bolt LSD in it. Realistically, how much torque can this thing handle? Im not going to beat the piss out of this car, but I want something that will safely handle 450-500ft.lbs of torque.

Last, my friend has some Axis Halos 18x8.5, they were on his evo, not sure on the offset, I should be able to find out. What kind of fitment am I looking at with these rims?

Thank you I appreciate all help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

H05TYL

Wheels will depend on the offset and tyre size.
I've got 18x9 +30 wheels on mine, with 235/40's, had to roll the front guards a bit, and trim the rear under the dog-leg and rear bumper. It's really low though, around 290mm from hub centre to guard lip from memory.

As for the 3-bolt lsd, the diff itself is pretty tough, but the axles (where the splines enter the diff) are the weak link, I'd suggest having a few spares on hand.

Boost4U

just use the dsm brake parts they will match up, that's what I did with mine

DynastyLCD

Quoting Lucas03ES:
Next, the car has a 3-bolt LSD in it. Realistically, how much torque can this thing handle? Im not going to beat the piss out of this car, but I want something that will safely handle 450-500ft.lbs of torque.

Thank you I appreciate all help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spring for a 4-bolt LSD diff & axles if you can. they can take a hell of a lot more abuse. or, stockpile 3 bolt axles and diffs and get good at changing them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lucas03ES

Quoting MuffinMan7580:
450-500 ft lbs? Is this a drag car?

More like a street monster.

I want to go with a 4-bolt LSD but I was figuring I cant find one locally, and I have this one just sitting in the garage, it wouldnt hurt to check and see what it can hold.

I havent decided on tires yet, as there isnt any mounted on the rims. I also have a set of black painted evo 8s on my tsi but I would much much rather run the Halos.

MuffinMan7580

I think that the 3-bolt would hold up as long as you didn't launch it, but even if you did, you would probably just spin anyway. On the other hand, if one of the axles let go in the middle of a 3rd gear pull, it might push/pull you off the road.

RedTwo

Quoting Lucas03ES:
Last, my friend has some Axis Halos 18x8.5, they were on his evo, not sure on the offset, I should be able to find out. What kind of fitment am I looking at with these rims?

What's the offset? They shouldn't foul on the trailing arm if they're around +20 to +35 but might get close to the stock suspension. I'd say they will stick out at the front (with stock camber) about 10-20mm in the best case.

Lucas03ES

I have another question I have ran in to while constructing my motor. The compressor outlet seems to dump right on top of my front motor mount. Have any of you guys had to modify your front motor mount to get the right fitment? Its a garrett t4 compressor housing if its relevant.

Yao

I have snaped 3 bolt rear doing 1.6 60 foot times..

OZRally

Quoting Lucas03ES:
I have another question I have ran in to while constructing my motor. The compressor outlet seems to dump right on top of my front motor mount. Have any of you guys had to modify your front motor mount to get the right fitment? Its a garrett t4 compressor housing if its relevant.

On my Holset setup I had to shave the front motor mount bracket to get the compressor housing to fit. I also had to clock the compressor outlet correctly as to not hit the mount. Works great and no rubbing.

Lucas03ES

Cool, do you possibly have a picture of how far you cut it? Im sure I will figure it out myself, but it would just be handy having a picture for reference. I also ave an ETS intercooler kit so turning the compressor housing a bit shouldnt affect much, thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts