The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.5" o2 housing install troubles

Just got a 2.5" o2 housing, probably an ebay brand or megan, got it from a local, and I can't get the o2 sensor to fit into the housing because it keeps hitting the waterpipe. I can't even thread it in. I know for the stock housings the sensor bung is further down and out of the way.

Am I stuck with putting the stock housing back on? I have a 2g housing just laying around, is that any better than the vr4's housing?

TIA

WaRrIoRs16

It would be a pain in the butt to swap sensors out, but did you try putting the sensor in the housing, then bolting the housing up? I have a megan racing tubular o2 housing and I haven't had any clearance issues. I can get a o2 socket on my o2 sensor when its all bolted down.

boostedinaz

^^^^

That's what I was thinking. If it still doesn't fit then you would need to have the bung rewelded in a different position or get a different O2 housing.

Quoting WaRrIoRs16:
It would be a pain in the butt to swap sensors out, but did you try putting the sensor in the housing, then bolting the housing up? I have a megan racing tubular o2 housing and I haven't had any clearance issues. I can get a o2 socket on my o2 sensor when its all bolted down.

Yup, I tried that... damnit... I guess I'll put my spare 2g housing on for the time being. At least I got it for cheap(20 bucks), I'm pretty sure the bung just needs to be repositioned, the angle its at causes the sensor to hit the water pipe... Well, I'll just have to play w/ it later on.

Thanks

spooling92vr4

how much is it hitting the water pipe? its kind of ghetto, but it wont hurt anything if you dent the water pipe a smidge.

prove_it

FWIW:

2G housings do flow better.

Quoting spooling92vr4:
how much is it hitting the water pipe? its kind of ghetto, but it wont hurt anything if you dent the water pipe a smidge.

I thought about it, but I'm just gonna take it somewhere to get the bung rewelded.

Would the tubular housing be significantly better than the 2g housing?

prove_it

Yes, pending if it's built right, but it should. Evo3's flow better than 2G, but have a slightly different exhaust angle on the outlet.

thedsmguy

You could ghetto fab it a bit by trying to bend the o2 housing, take a BFH and hit it on the edge of the o2 bung and see if you can just lightly change the angle that the o2 would stick out.

boostedinaz

Nothing against anyone but please don't do any beat to fit paint to match type "fixes". They always back fire somehow and end up costing more time or money.

Haha yeah, hitting the sensor definitely wouldn't work. I'm just going to cover the hole and drill and weld a new bung, still have the one that came with my aem wideband.

prove_it

You can get a 14x 1.5 drain plug bolt to seal your old bung hole...

hehe

Xcelerate

If its an ebay brand you better off using the 2g housing. First it flows better. Second the exhaust manifold and the o2 housing is the hotest part or the exhaust and with the poor quality on that ebay housing, you will still end up replacing it with something better. So think about it before putting more time and money on it and see if its worthed

SSGdave

Ok, I experienced this during the rebuild of 1855/2000.
I have a Punishment Racing 2.5in 02 housing. Same issue with sensor fitment.
All I did was Dimple the water pipe with a small hammer and tadaa it fits.
Actualy I mounted it all on an engine I had laying around and moded the water pipe off the car. Painted it and installed the water pipe and complete turbo onto 1855, then mounted the heat shields and done deal. Can't see a thing eather when you look at the engine. Totally stealth.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts