The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

what could cause this? Pic inside

Yao

Okayplayer

Looks like you had a pretty good exhaust leak. Maybe a bolt wasn't tightened enough. Or maybe the mating surface on the manifold, or exhaust housing wasn't flat. Or the gasket just failed.

rdomeck

Maybe that one bolt was tightened down first and then the gasket was moved to put the other bolts in? Doesn't look like a blow out, looks like it was torn.

TRBODSM

I would also say exhaust leak but it looks like one of those thick metal gaskets. I would use a OEM gasket and OEM bolts and washers(2 washers per bolt) and don't forget the anti-seize. Off the top of my head I believe the bolts are torqued to 48-49 ft/lbs. Never had a problem with that set up.

Yao

I know, it looks like torn, but it is infact a blowout!!? If a thick metal gasket like that couldn't stand a chance, what makes stock gasket work? I have the stock over size one on there now, but incase I need another if it happens again, what is the part number for the stock bigger hole gasket?

Diego

ANY gasket will explode with a loose bolt. Here is my old gasket, thankfully I have spares, one of the turbo to mani bolts backed out causing this on mine.

Brunoboy

Quoting Yao:

this happened to me many times, changed your manifold to turbo bolts and use the washers.

broxma

There is another really good solution for this. Have the surfaces machined or sanded flat, and don't use a gasket at all. I don't use any gasket on my turbo to manifold flange. If it's smooth enough, you don't need one.

/brox

mr.mitsu

I always use an oiling stone on any machined mating surfaces.

Must be the millwright in me lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts