The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball bearings

race_me89

So I was talking to a fellow mechanic at work about turbos and he was try to tell me that some companys use steel ballbearings and some use ceramiac, his reason for diffrent types was because "ceramiac will wear down faster" ...?

I have been learning and reading everything I can about turbos and dsm's and galant's in general but I kind of was under the impression that all ball bearing turbos were ceramiac?

I didnt mean to be a noob I just wanted to hear some feed back on the subject

Galantvr4559

I am sure some companies use steel and some use ceremic. Iv know ceremic to be the better of the 2. I have a precision bb 50 trim on my galant and I love it. Fast spool up

Xcelerate

It's one way or the other, both ballbearings are almost bulletproof. As long as it is installed the right way meaning the coolant cooling system is hooked up right, and you have oil restrictor and filters for oil feeds, and you check and clean the oil filter all the time. The both turbos are gonna last twice or 3times longer that any wetfloat bearings out there.

race_me89

Ok thats good to know when my co worker said that I kinnda was stumped I thought water cooled ball bearings were simply the best option when he said steel ball bearings I intantly thought of heat cycles and expanding metal I feel that ceramic is the way 2 go

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned