The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Eagle crank 94mm stroke- couple of questions on bearings and oil squirters

Bimmubishi

1) I know that people have squirter issues with the 100mm stroke crank. Can I run unmodified 1g squirters on my 6 bolt with the 94mm (2.2) stroke crank assuming that I have chosen pistons with a large enough relief?

2) I see a link that states Clevite bearings must be used with these cranks. Is this true? They must be chamfered. Are ACL Race bearings chamfered in the same manner? I think that they are but I'm not sure as I've never built a motor with Clevite bearings.

Reference link-
click

Thanks for any help.

Alex

Last edited:

Brianawd

also make sure you have that crank checked. Every single person I know that used a eagle crank had to get them machined. They are all over the place from the factory.

Brianawd

All most all of them had journal runout and taper.

alansupra94

If you are forged, I don't think you need oil squirters. Almost all the forged motors I know have them plugged up including Boz's VR4 (He ran a NA block)

Brianawd

Quote:
If you are forged, I don't think you need oil squirters. Almost all the forged motors I know have them plugged up including Boz's VR4 (He ran a NA block)

No you don't need them but keeping them never hurt. They still help keep a forged piston cool. I run them in my car and always will.

alansupra94

I will take slightly hotter crown surfaces over a faulty oil squinter which can remove oil from places I need it.

Brianawd

Quote:
I will take slightly hotter crown surfaces over a faulty oil squinter which can remove oil from places I need it

A broken nozzle on a 6 bolt oil squirter is not going to kill a motor from a loss of oil pressure. You won't even notice a drop in pressure on a gauge. Also there is no reason your piston should every hit the oil squirter. Making sure every thing clears when putting the motor together is easy.

bazeng

I'm running EVO 8 squirters. They have been made more square so to speak. They have a much sharper bend on them which gives them a bit more clearance from the piston skirt.

I'm running an Eagle 100mm crank with custom pistons. I just made sure that the skirts cleared the squirters when I had them made. Mind you I made my skirts longer for increase pistons stability.

CO VR4

Quoting Bimmubishi:
No kidding?!

Can you elaborate on that?

Also- does anyone know about the squirter situation?

There's a guy right here that's an experienced DSM'r who just suffered this same expensive problem. Nearly every Eagle crank is out of spec. They may mike at the right dimensions, but the journals are often hour-glassed or tapered. Many need a .10/.10 cleanup just to be truly round, and the thrust bearing surfaces are not in spec either. If you're going to use one, make sure you have a very capable crankshaft shop inspect it for all of these possible issues. A quick 10 second mike check will cause you grief and money -- in the local guy's case, a new engine with 200 miles went south because of the crank issues, and he's now taken it out and apart yet again when he could have saved himself time and effort had he known the Eagle issues...

tektic

My builder comented on how well made the 94mm eagle crank was. He's been building motors for 30years. In the same sentances he was trashing scat. I guess they are allover the place.

Jesus_Negros

If you are patient the K1 cranks are usually on sale at the end of the year. One year I believe 2010 they were about $900. Email Aaron at English Racing, [email protected] he helped a lot when I was building a 2.2.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts