The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wiring behind foglight switch.

Brunoboy

I really dont understand why my fogs dont work, it worked when i bought the car 3 years ago, and now it doesnt. I also did the mod for them to turn on with the headlights and that didnt power them on either. I want to use the OEM Switch to activate it through a relay. Who knows what each wire does? and which wires I could splice up to make this work. Thanks
-Shane

Brunoboy

bump for an answer

chrisfullwood

i think there is a rule about bumping your own post so quickly, im sure the admins will let you know, ill look and see if i can find the wiring harness that you are looking for. Stand by...

chrisfullwood

First, I would unplug your fog lights, and find out how, if any condition you have voltage at the lights, if neither work, you need to work up the system, and find the common elements, such as the switch and relay, with that in mind, here is where you could start, i would start by checking that you have
continuity at (make sure your power is disconnected, and the car is turned off before checking continuity)

pin 8 from the fog light switch - to a known ground on the car (bare metal)
pin 1 on relay side connector through pin 6 of the fog light switch.
pin 2 of the relay, to pin 5 on the fog light switch.
pins 3 and 4 of the relay connector.

check for voltage coming in on pin 3 on the relay, if you have power here, then either the relay is bad, you have a broken wire, or bad ground alternatively, both your fog lights are bad...lol.

if these wires have been spliced up before, i would get some electrical contact cleaner, and pull them apart, clean them really thoroughly, then re-do your connections, either with solder, or whatever your preferred method is.

Brunoboy

I've switched the ac fuse thing and the fog fuse and It didn't do anything. When I bought thecae three years ago they worked. I lost the car side of the fog harness at the foglights after scraping a curb that was high and ripped it off. I replaced that connector and sealed the wires all up. Now the fogs don't work and ive had four sets of fogs to try out. And I think bumping is only for sales post thanks.
-shane

curtis

When you damaged the connector you could have fried some wires somewhere else in the system. Using a diagram and a multimeter you should be able to find the problem.

Brunoboy

how do i use the multi meter to find the problem? its either before or after the fuse box, i know the fuse/relay thing has no effect when i change it.

chrisfullwood

it depends on how you want to approach it. You did say that neither foglight was working right? i would start with the items i suggested, check for power first, just make sure the car is on (doesnt have to be running, disconnect the harness connector you want to check first, and check for vDC (Volts - dc) you might need to get a pin, or something if the ends of your multimeter probe isnt working to touch the contact. then simply put the other probe on a good ground, like a bolt head that connects to the body of the car. or a bare piece of metal on the chassis.

be careful not to have it on the ohm selection, and do it, because you will probably fry your multimeter, sparks will definitely fly.

just carefully go through the list i posted, and see what you find, make a note of what you find at each point, and post it up here so we can see.

chrisfullwood

just a quick addition, use the multimeter to check the top of the fuses (assuming your referring to the blade type fuse) in the fuse box, if you have power on both sides of the fuse, then you know the problem is further down the circuit towards the fog lights.

Brunoboy

Quoting chrisfullwood:
it depends on how you want to approach it. You did say that neither foglight was working right? i would start with the items i suggested, check for power first, just make sure the car is on (doesnt have to be running, disconnect the harness connector you want to check first, and check for vDC (Volts - dc) you might need to get a pin, or something if the ends of your multimeter probe isnt working to touch the contact. then simply put the other probe on a good ground, like a bolt head that connects to the body of the car. or a bare piece of metal on the chassis.

be careful not to have it on the ohm selection, and do it, because you will probably fry your multimeter, sparks will definitely fly.

just carefully go through the list i posted, and see what you find, make a note of what you find at each point, and post it up here so we can see.

correct, both do not work, so what kind of voltage do i want to see with each? and i am talking about those cylinder type fuse things.

Brunoboy

There's no power getting to the relay according to my test light and no power getting to the fog connectors. I looked at the switch again and according to the HOW TO for fogs with parking lights it says to tap the black and red/white wires together but idk why because these two wires have no power.Only the black/yellow and green/white has power.

Last edited:

chrisfullwood

i would imagine the how too is saying to tap those wires, because they are the signal wires. In so much as they don't have voltage, until the switch is positioned to allow voltage to them. But i havent read the how too, so ill check that here in a bit. As far as voltage you should be seeing, i would imagine 12v. Did you get power at the number 3 pin on the fog light relay? it is a white wire, but there are 3, you want the pin with 2 white wires going into the connector, it comes fro the COMP relay (or the ECS) if you look at the schematic i posted, you should see it.

Brunoboy

i pulled the relay in the fuse box and checked out all the pins to it. and none have power.

chrisfullwood

i'm editing this post... i was wrong, i followed the wrong line, the next thing is a #7 15a fuse, in the fuse box, so check all of those and see if any are blown. that wire is fed directly (according to the wire diagram) from the headlight wiring. So look for blown or missing fuses.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

in the engine bay or under the dash?

Brunoboy

Fog fuse #7 was popped thanks for the help

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned