The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PTT clutch Question

race_me89

I have been looking up diffrent clutches on tuners and google and here I am pretty set on saving to buy the Powertrain Tech twin disc from STM I just wanted some thoughts before I bite a 1400 bullet

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
What are your goals for the car?

Please be realistic.

It will help us give you better advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

curtis

Call them direct and save some dollars. They'll ask what kind of torque the motor puts out and don't lie tell them if its a 200 ft lb or 600 ft lbs.

I own one and if my buddy will ever give me a price may own 2 more and a stage 4 trans. I absolutely loved it in mine and will never run anything else. Its probably over kill on a small frame turbo but if you've ever hammered down on a V8 car and saw the dusting of tires in 1-4th gear not spinning this is just rolling along and hit it and it hazes the tires and leaves slight marks on the pavement. I had never saw this with the vr4 until I put one of these in my car. What sold me on it was Chris Beren mailing a quarter master down to inspect and measure. He's made 10 second passes for years and the thing had only a few thousandths wear. That sold me. If you don't know the Owner of PTT helped develop the QM before he started his own thing. Now when I bought mine a shop in Chicago swore to me they had one on the shelf I needed it rush shipped because I had a brother that was close to death with cancer and didn't know if I would be leaving at 2 am for TX where he lived or NC for a fueneral. I explained that to them and the guy on the phone swore he would get it out that day. 2 weeks later after never getting a reply on emails or phone calls I still didn't have it and finally they answered the phone and I exploded and demanded a full refund now.. they blamed PTT and then the guy kept 50 bucks since I ran it on a card. Still pisses me off.

Anyway I called PTT and talked to the mans wife first then later the owner. He assured me the company hadn't even ordered one. They got it out the next day and called with a tracking number then an hour called again and she explained that they're training a new guy and wasn't sure if he had put the disks in the machine to press all the rivets all at the same time to make sure everything was under proper tension and square and she next day aired me yet another complete set in hopes I would mail back the first one the next day business day with the enclosed label, which I gladly did. That guys is proper customer service and one of the reasons I brag on these so highly.

4thStroke

I would go with the Quarter Master with the TMZ gear drive hub if you need a twin disc.

The clutches are very similar, but the TMZ discs with the gear grive hub is far superior.

race_me89

My goals for this build are to put down a 10.50 pass I was aiming for about 550 to 600 hp but im not really sure where that puts my tq

curtis

Probably in the low 400 range and as Spencer said the new design QM is bad ass but there alot higher in price for the fancy center hub but does have a larger contact area on the input shaft due to having a one piece center then 3 or 4 inch diameter straight cut gears for the disks

race_me89

I have talked to some evo guys and a lot of them were saying QM doesnt last very long, I plan on having this car to drive on the street aswell as the track

BrandonEchols

Quoting 4thStroke:
I would go with the Quarter Master with the TMZ gear drive hub if you need a twin disc.

The clutches are very similar, but the TMZ discs with the gear grive hub is far superior.

In what way?

3rdstrikedsm

QM is very good and will for sure take anything you throw at it esp the new hub design as they don't strip the splines anymore.

race_me89

ok i looked at the TMZ quarter master clutch and now you guys got me lost in the world of twin disc's lol
the PTT seems more reasonable for my tiny pockets, it comes with a flywheel
the QM from TMZ must be bought separate and its already 100 more expensive then PTT

Last edited:

prestonztt

SPEC Twin Disc with a Doggie here. It hasn't failed me one bit and its been in the car for about a year.

All my clutches have been SPEC and I haven't had a bad experience at all. I know some people who run the QM, and they say that it holds up pretty good aswell

curtis

I really think a QM with the new hub design would be over kill with a 400ft lbs of torque you'll be making. I think the guys that are killing the spines are the big boys in the 1000 hp club that are probably up close to twice the torque you'll ever see. The hubs are now all heat treated and hardened and i really don't think either company is having stripped out spines on the units. Plus I think alot of the spine damage is from people using 100K mile input shafts with a new twin disk. There's enough slop in the system to allow wear and the hubs are softer than the shaft so of course the twin disk manufacturers will be held at fault when it really was the car owner being to cheap to replace a input shaft.

race_me89

PTT SOLD lol I figured it was going to be the clutch of choice so now its time to save /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4thStroke

The earlier QM disc hubs were touching after a small amount of wear on the discs, causing them to "wear out" early. Someone figured out that if you machine the hubs slightly, the pucks are able to wear properly.

Quoting BrandonEchols:
Quoting 4thStroke:

In what way?

Instead of having two small hubs, there is one large hub with splines on that hub that the other disc slides onto. The hubs will never touch and the contact on the input shaft is maximized. The car was only making 440whp and 335tq. I use a twin because I do run ethanol from time to time and need a clutch to hold up. We all know these trannys are fragile, so I also wanted a clutch that was going to allow me to shift as clean as possible to help keep me from buzzin synchros and grinding gears. The twin can also kill a tranny very easy if you start side stepping and if you have the false sense of security that because you have a twin, your tranny will shift nicely.

It wasn't long before my hubs had more slop than I cared for, so I upgraded the discs to the TMZ discs. Drive ability is better and there is slightly less noise.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts