The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

14b back pressure/turbo choice

mountaineerjeff

Im looking at picking up a 2nd gen mirage. they have a lower power, lower displacement, and more finicky g32b. so I need to run a smaller turbo than I normally would. the g32b is a 1.6l and has a lower ~6k rpm redline. so im looking at turbos between a 14b-16g. If I run a 14b will there be any issue with running a full 3" o2, and down pipe? Its been a while since I looked into stuff like this. I know the 3" was fine on 16g+ but I was thinking that there was an issue of the turbo not building boost or something similar.

If anyone has any specific g32b experience that would be great too, Im feel like Im stuck in that range, but im not sure if 16g-evo316g is too large. I know people make 400+ in that range, and it seems like the g32b wont hold that no matter what. I am doing as much research as possible, at first I thought I could approach it like a 4g6x and run 30 psi on a 20g, but that doesnt seem possible.

so cliff's
can you run too large of an exhaust?
have any g32b experience?

boostedinaz

You can but you might get boost creep. I woudl higly suggest porting the hot side to try and fight that.

mountaineerjeff

boost creep might have been what I was thinking of. I just remember it being a bad idea for some reason...I have a sweet 3" vband setup that is made for a mitsu turbo with internal wastegate. I would really like to put it to use. right now the car has a rebuilt motor with arps,porting and the such. not forged internals, but it has tuning and fuel already in place so I should be able to make the OEMs last.

so what about a 14b on a 16g exhaust housing? (td0x?)

transparentdsm

with that small of a motor did you ever think 13b out of a 1g auto?? then run the injectors out of a manual 1g take the 2g o2 housing and exhaust manifold and port them. make the o2 outlet match your 3 inch down pipe... you can push those little turbos real far.

mountaineerjeff

the vband setup includes the o2 housing. the manifold will be a custom equal length.

boostedinaz

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
boost creep might have been what I was thinking of. I just remember it being a bad idea for some reason...I have a sweet 3" vband setup that is made for a mitsu turbo with internal wastegate. I would really like to put it to use. right now the car has a rebuilt motor with arps,porting and the such. not forged internals, but it has tuning and fuel already in place so I should be able to make the OEMs last.

so what about a 14b on a 16g exhaust housing? (td0x?)

16G will have issues as well. It couldn't hurt to step up to a bigger hotside but porting will still be needed in most cases.

mountaineerjeff

well on my last 1.6l I ran a sleeper 20g, (20g wheel in a 16g housing.) and its worked great. I also ran it on a s16g on a 2.0l they were both DOHC with higher durability and redline, thats why I think I need a smaller turbo? I mean I can get a 6262, but I dont see it ever being of any use.

mountaineerjeff

IDK, I havent needed a turbo upgrade in a long time, so I dont remember the stuff off the top of my head....If I could remember I wouldnt be asking these elementary questions.

I know I had a small 16g with an evo3 manifold and my 3" o2 housing. on a 2.0L

then I did 20g wheel in a e3 housing. with a tubular manifold, and the same o2. on a 1.6L

Both worked great, and I would be content with similar performance/spool ETC.

I guess recently I have just been spending too much time away from mitsu turbos. So I need the most efficient way to get power out of a 1.6l with a 6k rpm redline. The manifold setup is completely inefficient, so I want to make a tubular setup. so If I make that custom, then I can run ANY flange etc. so no holds barred. what about a newer better design then the 14b-16g? maybe something off a newer VW, or something that has been engineered more recently then 20+yrs ago.

mountaineerjeff

oh, sorry. yes s16g is an option. maybe just a step up from what I was thinking? maybe a s16g with a larger exhaust housing? I dont think I need an external wastgate. so I guess one with an internal housing is good.

right now I have an 11b and a 14b. the 11b is good, but the 14b needs rebuilt (shaft is frozen)

mountaineerjeff

awesome...I bet I can probably get one from FP exactly like that? If not I at least have something to keep an eye on the FS section.

so consensus says, s16g w/internal wastegate, 7cm housing, with tubular mani, and 3" turbo-back.

I honestly think this is a qquestion for the g32b guys, but it doesnt seem like there are any :/

AnotherNewb

Seriously, on a 1.6l with a 6k redline, I would just slap a 14b on it with a stock hot side and be done. You'll have a fast spool and enough flow up top with your tiny motor.

raptorWagon

Quoting mountaineerjeff:
awesome...I bet I can probably get one from FP exactly like that? If not I at least have something to keep an eye on the FS section.

so consensus says, s16g w/internal wastegate, 7cm housing, with tubular mani, and 3" turbo-back.

I honestly think this is a qquestion for the g32b guys, but it doesnt seem like there are any :/

Probably was, I can't help much as I have a early 4g32 (chain drive and carb). However you could see about swapping a G37 head on your G32b block, yes it will lower your compression but that may help out your turbo some and it has larger ports for better flow.

Keep in mind some of the info is for rwd spec, but should help for a comparison in heads if you're interested
click

mountaineerjeff

well I actually have a 4g37 head sitting in my basement right now....but the same in it is the motor is fresh, had the 32 head was ported and the jets were welded up. a member has a 14b with a 7cm exhaust housing? fate? lol. I MIGHT get away with a cheap ebay tubular header, then hack the flange off and weld a 32b flange on. who knows what Ill do...most likely blow up this little motor cause Im so used to the 4g6x.

biglady112

A 13g turbo will bolt right into that 9b hotside. With them both being TD04 turbos you could start that way and do it cheaply. You can also do the 11b off the factory 4G61 turbos.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts