The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car is losing battery power and leaning out

whats up guys my car was acting really funky today and was just cutting out when i would go full throttle and just backfiring and what not than my dipstick poppped out and soaked everything than shortly after the battery kept dying and the car was leaning out reallyreally bad like in the 8-9 area.. what is a good air fuel to achieve and would a battery dying lean the car out? i was thinking if it didnt have enough power to the pump? i also need to find a decent basemap for the safc because someone messed with all the settings where could i find one? all help is appreciated thanks guys! and what sparkplugs are suggested! mods>.. 16g turbo external dump 750 cc inejctors 3in straighpipe safc epromm ecu hks bov tubular mannifold front mount etc.

Brunoboy

Alternator powers the car once the battery starts the car. 8-9 is really rich btw.

1)This board is populated by people who appreciate good english. Use punctuation and spread out your verbal skid mark into sentences please. Not trying to be mean, but many board members will not respond to a post written like yours.

2) Do you mean 8-9 fuel ratio, which is rich, or 8-9 v, which is low voltage? How are you getting these numbers?

3)If your battery is in the back, you may have a cable issue. Many battery relocation kits come with a too small cable that cannot transmit necessary amps at all times, under heavy load, when hot, etc. Put one tester lead on the + terminal on the battery, and one where the cable connects in the front. Disable the ignition or fuel system. Crank the car and observe the voltage reading on the meter. Anything more than a volt or two is bad. 3+volts is very bad.

4)Previous poster stated alternator provides all power to the vehicle once it is running. While this is basically true, it isn't the whole story. (Apologies to people who have looked at the vr-4 wiring diagram for the charging system, I haven't.)

[*]1)Many cars use the battery voltage as an imput to a module or directly to the generator to tell the generator how much voltage to create.
[*]2)Many charging systems use power from the battery to excite the generator. Unless it is built a certain way, the generator will do a shitty job self exciting if the batt is removed.
[*] 3)The battery provides power under heavy load conditions, heavy accel, headlights, thumping stereo, etc. While the generator can and does provide lots of amps over time, it may not have sufficient output to meet peak demand.
[*]4)The battery acts as a capacitor, softening voltage and amperage spikes and protecting wiring and computers in your vehicle.

5)Is it possible that your "oil everywhere" got onto cables or into things it shouldn't have, causing your condition?

6)Apparently you can get a good baseline over at road race engineering

Last edited by a moderator:

8-9 fuel ratio.. i got it from my air fuel meter... sorry about the puncuation and typing.. i was posting this from my phone.. which caused that problem. sorry to all

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned