The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Quick ratio steering racks

Does anybody here have an aftermarket steering rack, or has anyone tried retrofitting one from another car like an Evo 8? I have a 1g manual rack in my galant right now, I was thinking about changing it out for a power rack, but if possible I would like to fit something with a quicker ratio.

PreskitVR4

I have been toying around with the idea of building a tubular cross member to take evo control arms, rack and spindles. the only hurtle i foresee is in the hubs, haven't had a chance to do wheel bearing measurements, and spline counts and measurements. I'm sure evo has larger axles....

Okayplayer

The evo 8 rack could work, but you have to fabricate proper mounts as they are different. Also, you have to think about the angle of the assembly in reference to the end links. It would be nice to see them side by side. I would love to do this mod, the steering is one of my favorite aspects of the evo. Plus it would go great with my evo 8 suspension.

broxma

I looked at the Evo rack and the VR4 rack when I had both cars here and was swapping the rims on them. What I considered, was just changing the guts of the rack. Other than the angle which the arm hits the spindle, there doesn't appear to be much difference. I've been looking on EvoM for a part out so I could buy an Evo rack just to test it out.

/brox

BrandonEchols

Jepherz does a rack mod that sounds awesome...unless you're planning on traveling at high speed a lot.

Click Me

Last edited:

That ratio quickener looks like a better option. Hopefully 11.9:1 isn't too crazy. It is definitely a cheaper option than the Evo 8 steering rack. Now I just need to find a spare GVR-4 steering column... That might be tricky.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned