The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

scirocco rad feedback

talontyme

I just recently purchased a afco scirocco race rad and was wondering what guy's have used for a fan for cooling. I was looking at the flex a lite twin fan w/ shroud flows like 1600cfm so that going to be enough?

Here is the basic setup on the car
built 6 bolt block and 2g head 9:1.1
fp3065 turbo setup
ets 1g short route fmic
scirocco rad
a/c deleted
nothing blocking airflow in the front
bumper cut

any feedback would be great.

Eaglesfly

I'm looking at using the same radiator and fan combo. Shrouded fans always work best, so I would assume that fan would be the best choice. I'm interested to hear the feedback as well.

spooling92vr4

I was able to run a 12 inch puller and a 10 inch pusher, no problems cooling the car. But if I could go back I would have done the fal dual with the staggered fans just for simplicity

talontyme

did you stagger the fans? I didnt know you could run both in front of each other like that.

alansupra94

Here is something to keep in mind.

-Shrouds - mainly directly air flow, so they come into factor when moving speeds
-Fans - push air into the radiator but only make a difference at idle (when moving, MUCH more air is forced in).

I personally would just get two good and powerful fans and call it a day.

spooling92vr4

Quoting talontyme:
did you stagger the fans? I didnt know you could run both in front of each other like that.

yeah they were staggered, there may have been 1/2 inch between them, and it was VERY tight. Like I said I would give the fal setup a shot and see how it goes if I could do it over.

talontyme

Ya looking like I my have to go that route just for the ease of installation.I will post up my results when the car is running.

stealthtt24

I have the same turbo as the op as well as the sciriocco radiator. I bought one 12" spal fan for now and plan on running one more spal in the front. I don't have Ac either, as usual though my car does not run and I have no feedback on the spal fan or radiator so this post sucks.

talontyme

well get it running and add some positive feedback /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IncorpoRatedX

jesus christ...

I've ran the afco radiator in 2 of my galants, 12 inch CHEAP pusher from autozone wired into stock sensor on both of them, never a single over heating situation, the radiator cools way better than the stock one ever could, don't overdo it guys, just makes sh*t clutter and complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brianawd

Stock rad, Still have ac. 2-216 intercooler, one spal 12in puller and one cheap ass 10 pusher all wired up like stock. Car never gets above 210 sitting in traffic on a 90deg day with the ac on full blast.

talontyme

I would have loved to run the stock setup but the turbo setup didn't allow for that so now this is were i'm at now,but I got some reassuring info for this tread hopefully it will work out.

Gombos

I had the afco scirocco rad on my 2g that I sold a few months ago. Had some issues, mainly with the fans, so I tried a few things. At first I had a single cheap slim fan on it with no shroud and no lower heat shield. seemed to work ok but the metal cover over the fan motor melted the wires and they shorted out. Hard wired another cheap fan to the battery to get me to where I was going and it seemed to be ok, but temp would creep up above 210*F if I sat at a light for too long. When I got to my friend's house I wired it to use the stock electrical connectors. Since the stock fans are 2 speed fans the slim fan never got a full 12v and the car would overheat. The car ran OK with a full 12 volts to it but the temps still liked to creep up while sitting. Once I got back home I switched from a single 12in fan to a mishimoto 10in fan and a 7in fan that came from my 07 Yamaha R6s, built a shroud, and wrapped the o2 housing and as much of the manifold as I could. That did the trick. With a 170 T-stat the car would hover around 180-185 degrees and maybe touch 200 after a 3rd gear pull. This is compared to the average temp being around 205-210 with the stock rad and fans.

talontyme

Yea i was thinking the hot side would be an issue so i bought a turbo diaper lol and ill prob wrap the first 6-10 inches of the downpipe.

gvr41190

Have any of you had luck using a Scirocco oe replacement? The Afco unit is nice, but it if an $80 radiator does the trick, I can think of plenty of uses for the money saved. Are there any particular brands that stand out? Any brands to avoid?

IncorpoRatedX

the afco one is 3 inches thick, but i think some people have worked with the oem style one.

Alainb7

In m'y case I use an 1G mishimoto rad with a spacer at Norton to lift it up.

For the cooling I modified the wiring of relay to use the OEM push ac fan at high speed with senson in the Bottom of the rad and a sonata '92 ac fan (twice slim as OEM pull fan) and also use it on high speed with sensor in thermostat housing.

The OEM ac push fan at high speed do the work complety, the second fan Nevers have to Start.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts