The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ceramic Coating- Worth It?

BluFalcon

I just recently installed a FP3052 and their exhaust manifold in my car. I'm concerned about underhood temps, as any heatshield for this setup would have to be custom made. I know my alternator isn't happy about having a giant heatsink of an O2 housing right next to it, and I would like to minimize the exposure of the hotside intercooler pipe to any more temperature than it already sees. Also keeping underhood temps down will help the car withstand those glorious Texas summers. The last time I checked, we were continuously over 100 degrees for the last 40+ days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

The FP exhaust housing on the turbo does have two small threaded bosses that a custom heatshield could be attached to, but getting something around the O2 housing could be a bit trickier. Also anyone who's used JMFab's heatshield for the FP race manifold, knows what kind of boondoggle it is to attach that.

I was thinking of having the turbine housing, Tial 44mm wastegate base, O2 housing and hotside intercooler pipe ceramic coated. I'll probably go back to my old ported EVO3 exhaust manifold, since I'll be able to use a factory heatshield with that piece after getting it coated as well. The downpipe coming off the O2 housing will probably get thermal wrap, since no one is ever going to see it. Since I'm going to have to take my car down, and yank a freshly installed turbo off, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle? Can anyone offer their input or opinions on the benefits of ceramic coating?

Eaglesfly

There's a local DSM guy around my parts that had his ENTIRE setup ceramic coated. FP manifold, EVOIII 16g, O2 housing and all the bolts as well. It made a HUGE difference in the underhood temps. After driving you could put your hand close enough to almost touch the manifold without the insane heat burning your hand. For comparison, on my DSM not being coated, placing your hand within a few inches of the manifold will start to burn you. I will definitely be coating my manifold and 02 housing before putting in the VR-4.

BrandonEchols

Also get one of these...they do a great job:

img.php

Last edited:

prove_it

Just remember that heat wrapping can cause hairline cracks to occur after many runs and daily driving.

other than that, I've all good about ceramic coating and heat wraps.

BluFalcon

Now, that looks like a winner right there! Just placed my order. Thanks.

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

No problem Ed. If you have an inferred thermometer you should hit the turbo blanket with it after a spirited drive and let us know what kind of temps you are seeing.

JNR

Quoting prove_it:
Just remember that heat wrapping can cause hairline cracks to occur after many runs and daily driving.

I would think the opposite would be true, since there wouldn't be a sudden change in temperature, as it allows it to retain heat and cool slowly, but could be wrong...I'm curious to find out if that's true, because I was planning on insulating the entire system as much as possible (combo of ceramic coating and wrap), so if you have any references to that, I'd like to see them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

trunks

My vote would be for the coating. I coated my exhaust manifold, hotside of turbo, and o2 housing on the galant and it runs cool. My dsm has dei wrap on it and will get hot from time to time in hot weather with the a/c on. Granted that the dsm has a larger intercooler on it with less air flow than the galant but based on my experience it's totally worth it to make the investment for piece of mind.

BluFalcon

Looks like the plan now is to go ahead an pull all the stuff off, and have everything coated since I'll have to pull it off anyway to install the blanket for the turbo. I wish I hadn't been in such a rush to get the new setup on, and had taken the time to consider getting everything coated beforehand. Pisser.

prove_it

I've just be told that and heard some references in various threads on here before. I've never tried a wrap myself so I don't have any personal experience. IIRC, it has to do with the manifold and turbo retaining higher levels of heat for longer periods of time. I know the info is in a thread around here somewhere.

Quoting JNR:
Quoting prove_it:

I would think the opposite would be true, since there wouldn't be a sudden change in temperature, as it allows it to retain heat and cool slowly, but could be wrong...I'm curious to find out if that's true, because I was planning on insulating the entire system as much as possible (combo of ceramic coating and wrap), so if you have any references to that, I'd like to see them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts