The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS ON 4BOLT LSD?

MellowVR4

I kno this is possible but i cant find any info on how to do this correctly. If anybody can give me some info it will be most appreciated. thnx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Diego

I think you just basically pull the cover and replace the gears and add the shafts along with the supporting 4 bolt hubs...

Someone knows better but I feel this is accurate enough in a nut shell.

Nabeel

It is not impossible. But from my experience. 4WS system of the GVR4 is just a joke. you better to spend the time and the money on good adjustable coilover, bushings & sway bars if control is what you want.

cheekychimp

Yes, you have to retain the 3-bolt diff housing which has provision for the 4WS pump and swap the guts of the 4-bolt into it. I have actually considered doing something similar (even though I've removed the 4WS) and using the redundant 4WS pump to circulate the diff oil through a diff cooler.

MellowVR4

thanks for all the help, i figuerd thats all you had to do, but yeah i kno the 4ws isnt the greatest in the world but i kind of wanted to keep the car closest to original. specially when everything is not rusty and leakin, it looks beautiful under their lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. but thnx guys

raptorWagon

Quoting Nabeel:
It is not impossible. But from my experience. 4WS system of the GVR4 is just a joke. you better to spend the time and the money on good adjustable coilover, bushings & sway bars if control is what you want.

4WS wasn't a joke in its' glory days of rally.

BrandonEchols

Truf.

In snow and on gravel, the GVR4's 4WS was amazing in Rally.
It's mostly the roadrace/autox guys that don't like it because of the >30mph condition, so it's constantly coming on and off during corners, etc.

I think the 4WS on the early 90's prelude was a better overall setup...I really would like to retro-fit that to the GVR4.

prove_it

What? Why? Ever drive one?

MellowVR4

never lol

BrandonEchols

Quoting prove_it:
What? Why? Ever drive one?

Yes...Have you?
They're like an exacto knife in the curves.
The 1988 model did something like 65mph in the slalom, which was unheard of at the time...faster than the Porsche 911 of the same era.

If I remember correctly they work on a degree of steering wheel rotation system rather than on a speed sensitive setup like our cars.
I'm note sure the numbers, but up to a certain percentage of wheel angle was steering same phase like ours, then it transitioned to steering opposite phase. See this VIDEO

Last edited:

MellowVR4

i know that their system was like the s#!T but me my self really not into hondas too much. i think if i was to own a honda i would do a 4g63t swap A.S.A.P right when i get it. Then ill be satisfied. Dont get me wrong they can make some power and their lighter then a feather but just not my style.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned