The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Braking and steering issues

Hey all,

Just got back into the gvr4 game, not such a clean one this time. Turbo's blown,cracked valve cover, exhaust is rusted out, exhaust mani's cracked, brakes suck, turning is impossible.

First problem is that I feel like my car has anti-power steering, as goofy as that sounds.
The AWS light is on and the guy said he cut the lines going to the rear, but when I checked the power steering reservoir it was full and I there was a belt on the pump. Whether I'm stopped to driving normally the difficulty of steering stays the same. I've driven plenty of cars without powersteering and even those cars weren't as hard as driving this car. It doesn't make sense to me, when I'm in motion I'd think it would get easier to turn but it's just as hard as when I'm stopped.

Second problem is that my abs light goes off sometimes and my pedal pulsates randomly, I could be going 5mph and touch the brakes and it'll pulsate like no other and sounds like my front brakes locking up.

Good news-
My friend has a 1g fwd talon parts car that he's letting me take parts galore off of(for a small fee)
I have a brand new rebuilt head, valve cover, super clean intake manifold, 2g exhaust mani, 16g, 2.5" o2 sensor housing and new oil/water turbo lines from the 1g to put in along with a new composite headgasket and arp's. Is there anything I need to worry about?(any differences?)

His 1g is non abs, I can use the hardlines and proportioning valve off of the car correct? Without abs I wouldn't have problems?

I know our lower control arms are similar so would I be able to use his subframe off of his 1g?(has poly mounts in it already)
Upon doing research people have used 1g power steering racks, would that fix my steering issue?
The car doesn't have ebrake cables in it, would I be able to use the ones off the 1g or are they different?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to put some life back into this gvr4.

Thanks

123abc

I've had my ps pump go out on me, causing a very hard to steer car. I would replace the pump before the rack....

The fwd subframe will not work on your VR4. If your friend had an AWD 1g, then yes, they inter-change. However, as far as I know, the lines an prop valve will work.

Ahh, well, I found out that I can at least use the poly bushings, so not so terrible, just need to take em off the fwd subframe.

CutlassJim

I can tell you from experience that this is what happenes when you loop the two signal lines that go to the rear steering rack togeher. Check that first. The feed and drain can be looped but the two smaller signal lines must be blocked. Usually done close to the rack to eliminate lines.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned