The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Small Battery In a GVR4

I was wondering if anyone has tried one of those Odyssey/Hawker PC680's in a GVR4? I got the kit JMFab sells for my Talon, and I never had a problem with it, but a DSM has lower power requirements than a GVR4, hence the higher output alternator found in the GVR4. Anyways, I hate the intake limitaions caused by the stock battery location in the G, so I was thinking about pulling the JMF kit from the Talon, and installing it in the G. The Talon, although street driven, is primarily set up for drag racing, and after the current build, will need a kill switch anyways, so I figure the Talon will get a trunk mount box. I don't want to do a trunk mount box in the G because I don't want to have to put a kill switch on it to make a 13 second pass, plus I use my trunk extensively, lol! Plus, while I will be installing a stereo system in the G, I don't really want to use an external amp and crossovers, so I'll just let the deck drive the speakers, and if I use a sub at all, it will probably just be a bass tube, which is one more reason to save trunk space! But without an amp, I don't think the pc680 will have any trouble.

So yeah, compact battery in a GVR4, anybody?

pot

Staff member
I've had the Odyssey PC 680 relocated to my trunk for years and never had an issue. The install was performed by the previous owner to include the shut off switch. Beyond that, I've only had to recharge this particular battery just once for not disconnecting it prior to embarking on a six month vacation.

I like the PC 680, its light, compact, and perfect. Albeit, it does carry a heavy price tag. Bluf, I think you'll be just fine.

IncorpoRatedX

I ran a lawnmower battery. worked just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1941Galant

I'm running a PC680 next to the fuse box on #1941. So far it has worked fine, I even started the car a couple times when it was single digits outside last winter.

beaner

My local Interstate Battery sells refurbished batteries of nearly any size for 35 bucks with a core. I brought in a mystery battery and walked out with a Miata battery. It's gotta be one of the smallest OEM batteries out there. Works perfectly fine.

broxma

I have a braille 11.5 in my car right now. It is fine, however the mystery power drain I have tends to kill it, but that's not the fault of the battery.

/brox

CutlassJim

You do realize the battery just starts the car right? After it's running it's all the alternator. Hence the 90 amp unit in a VR4. And I think thats only because of the power sunroof and extra two windows that could be on at the same time. Otherwise I can't see it using any more power than a 1G. I have in fact run a 75Amp alt in a pinch for a few days and didn't notice a difference. The smaller battery will give you sh*t for reserve though. I'm a big fan of Honda 51 series batteries or one from a Miata. I have heard of the Odyssy ones not likin to start after a few days of sitting

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to give it a shot, and see what happens.

I'll probably be fabricating an Intake and IC kit for the car for speed density, and would like the extra space that relocating the battery would yield. The JMF install kit for the 680 mounts it on the top/passenger side of the front subframe, basically in the oem location of the charcoal canister. So it's still accessible from under the hood, but completely out of the way. It's been working fine on my Talon for a couple years, but that car has never had a stereo (in the time that i've owned it, lol), where I plan on installing something basic, but decent, in the Galant.

RedTwo

You could get one of those emergency jump start batteries - it's about the size of a packet of cigarettes and can be recharged from the cigarette lighter...

CutlassJim

Unless you are going to be listening to the radio with the car off you will never have a problem.

Brunoboy

I have the Yellow Top 51R, doesnt seem well since my battery doesnt crank my car over very often.....

BluFalcon

Odyssey PC925 in my car. The only issue I had with it was leaving the car in a parking lot for a month while I was deployed. Got back, battery was dead but held a charge after getting the car jumped. Now I just unplug the ground cable if I know it's going to sit for longer than two weeks.

Dan D

I had a PC680MJ for several years. Overall it worked fine but it left me stranded several times because I left the lights on for a few minutes or listened to the end of a song with the car off or too many short trips with not enough drive/charge time in between. As a starting battery it works well and lasts for many years but as a daily driver's battery I recommend against it. It has no reserve capacity period. I've since switched to a red top in the trunk and I'd not go back for anything.

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

71c16971.jpg

Here is my setup. It works for me. I may go to a trunk in the rear eventually but not anytime soon.

I run a PC-680 on my galant. I have it mounted right behind the passenger headlight, underneath my air filter. Works great, always starts the car, even in winter.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts