The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

shifter bracket question

So I went and picked up my galant today from boostin performance. They rebuilt my transmission. But I went to go drive it and I hear the same noise when I shift. I've changed all the bushing and bought new shifter cables. So my next step I guess is the shifter bracket. Devin was telling me today that he doesn't think shifter bracket is a galant's and its a 90's dsm. He said pivot arm is to long causing it to not shift good. I'm not sure how to explain this but when you pop the hood its the shifter arm that the left shifter cable goes too. Does anybody know how to tell which shifter bracket I have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabeel

It is hard to tell. And pain to take the bracket out of the tranny. You have to measure it. GVR4 brack is longer than 90 dsm & I think is very little shorter than 91dsm. Most of DSMr's think that 91+ is exact same as the GVR4. I think they are wrong. GVR4 brack has different part number.

>>>click

I measured it and from end to end it's 4in long.

Nabeel

I am away from car now. I think it was 8cm from center to center. I can confirm when i got the chance later.

Nabeel

You may need to adjust the cables from the inside of car. At the shifter itself. Are you facing shifting issue? Or just some noise? Let some body play with the shifter while car is off. Have a look at bracket aria to find the problem.

It makes a nasty noise when I shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The cables in the car where adjusted by devin at boostin performance. I have new shifter brackets coming from jnz tuning. They should be here in a couple of days. Devin was telling me that I could drill a hole in that bracket and put a bolt with a nylon locking nut on it to make it shorter and see if that fixes the problem. Because its such a pain in the ass to replace. But I'm not sure how short to go or if thats even causing the problem. So once the brackets get here I'm going to replace the one that bolts on and see if that helps. I hope it works because I've replaced everything but the shifter it's self.

curtis

I've personally done the drill hole add bolt in linkage route and it works. Think it was on a JDM box I had either way measure your total movement in the assembly in the car under the boot. Then you know to go from the center of neutral to 3 is x and to 4th is x. So out on the linkage might need to get a mag base and a dial indicator but you can move the linkage til its in gear in each direction just move the dial indicator end around until you find the sweet spot on the linkage where 3 to N and n to 4th x distance is and mark and drill a small hole then step the bit up. Then install a bolt.

Screw that replacing linkage. I did that once as well and it sucked. Its made not to come off I think.

jepherz

Staff member
He's just saying he has redrilled a new mounting point on the bracket to use the 90 brackets with the 91+ shifter. The issue is just different ratios, nothing more.

I understand that. I just dont understand how to figure out where to drill the hole.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts