The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone using this Aluminum Radiator?

WaRrIoRs16

Hey is anyone currently using this ebay radiator? click If you are using it, how are you coolant temps while daily driving? I seen it mentioned in the end of another thread, but no one said if they were actually using it. My coolant temps were in the 220* area just idling in 90* weather so I think I'm going to change some things up. Thanks

spooling92vr4

There is a guy that did a write up on these radiators in the how to section.. I would suggest shooting him a pm and ask him what his temps are.

WaRrIoRs16

On this specific one? I looked through a thread about aluminum radiators and I believe they were using a different one, or atleast purchased theirs from someone different. At the end of the thread someone links to the radiator that I'm looking at now to see if its any good, but their were no responses. Heres the other thread click

broxma

I use one that is even cheaper. I think I paid 129 shipped for mine off Ebay. I live in Heatstink, Texas. When hell cools off, the demons and minions come here to warm up. My car drives in the blazing sun like a beast, and never goes north of 215ish. Paying 500.00 for a radiator is silly to me. It's akin to saying, which 3 inch pipe will flow the best, the one from ETS or Buschur?

That being said, you could get screwed but who cares, it's 129 dollars.

/brox

WaRrIoRs16

Hmmm, this was the only one that I found for the GVR4 on ebay right now that is all aluminum. Any tips on finding the $129 one?

4doorboost

i use one and my car runs super cold all day. i dont know exact temp but the gauge never even sees half way (straight up and down) even on a super hot day

Terry Posten

This is what I bought.

click

You need to get a 1G t-stat water neck.

WaRrIoRs16

How does that one work for you Terry temperature wise? How long have you had it? Any signs of leaking and what kind of temps do you see? I see its a realy good price shipped, especially with fans, so it makes me a little skeptical. Also, do both fans fit? The poor slimfan(poor because of airflow, not depth) that I have would just barely barely fit on the drivers side, and the core on my current oem replacement is tiny.

Terry Posten

It works good for me. One fan is pulling and one is pushing. With a 160 t-stat and a custom 140 thermo switch, I see temps 160 to 180 temps. I have only seen 190 once and that was on the dyno pulling 361whp.

It would be better if you can use proper shrouded fans but works for me.

WaRrIoRs16

Perfect, I'm going to use that one then. Hopefully I can make the driver side fan fit one way or the other. I am on the edge of ditching my A/C, so I still have the pusher hooked up on the condenser and I'm about to wire it to a toggle switch or permanetly on with the ignition.

Nabeel

I am using ebay one for 1g. I think brand name is CRX. I bought one with fan & fan shroud. I did not used the fans. I bought 1g fan & 1g thermostat housing. It works good. Just buy radiator without fans. there fans are not enough & just wast of money.

Vman911

I did the write up in how to sect to install that radiator.
I'm using the same one from china. I currently have a 180 degree thermostat in the car. I just returned from a 900 mile trip in 1667/2000. Temps stay at 180 while cruzing down hwy. (got 23MPG) now when in town and stop and go traffic temps creep up to 210+ until car moves again. (something is up with my thermo switch) Its 94+ degrees in atlanta. I'll let you know what it runs when it cools outside.
Vinman

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Quoting broxma:
I use one that is even cheaper. I think I paid 129 shipped for mine off Ebay. I live in Heatstink, Texas. When hell cools off, the demons and minions come here to warm up. My car drives in the blazing sun like a beast, and never goes north of 215ish. Paying 500.00 for a radiator is silly to me. It's akin to saying, which 3 inch pipe will flow the best, the one from ETS or Buschur?

That being said, you could get screwed but who cares, it's 129 dollars.

/brox

LMAO I like how you described tx haha thats where im from, houston in perticular

broxma

Mine is a 1G with a fill on the water neck. When you factor in the 5 dollar cost of the water neck at the boneyard and the 99-129 dollar price of the CX racing or whatever Radiator, it's hard to beat. Mine was even a multi core radiator, whatever the hell that means.

/brox

WaRrIoRs16

Well my buddy is giving me back the 1g Fluidyne radiator that I gave him a couple years ago when I sold my talon. Hopefully that will do the trick for me. I'm a little concerned on if it will fit. Its really thick and I already have a tight fit between my tial 38mm on the top of the manifold, the intercooler piping, and the stock radiator. Also my dump tube is close to touching the fins on my stock radiator. Hopefully it fits, the fluidyne is expensive so it would be nice to not let it go to waste.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting Terry Posten:
It works good for me. One fan is pulling and one is pushing. With a 160 t-stat and a custom 140 thermo switch, I see temps 160 to 180 temps. I have only seen 190 once and that was on the dyno pulling 361whp.

It would be better if you can use proper shrouded fans but works for me.

Terry, where did you get the 140 thermo switch from?

Terry Posten

It is an A/C thermo adjustable switch from Grainger It is selectable from 140-180 turn on and it turns off 20 degrees colder than the set point. And it was less than $20.00.

It does not screw in, it is mounted flush to the core with straps.

It wires just like the stock thermo switch. 2 male spade terminals. Normally open until temp set point is reached.

Very simple. And works very well.

mistaVR4

Here is a link to the AFCO Scriocco aluminum radiator, yes it's a bit more costly, and their are no fans included. However, I've had many friends run these, as well as a bunch of folks here on the board. Superb quality, perfect fitament, even with different WG locations, as well as I/C pipe placement. I have only heard great things about it and can't wait to have mine running, I just need to build mounts for my fans.

Check this link for some alternative info AFCO radiator

EDIT: AFCO Radiator

Last edited:

alansupra94

Quoting Terry Posten:
It is an A/C thermo adjustable switch from Grainger It is selectable from 140-180 turn on and it turns off 20 degrees colder than the set point. And it was less than $20.00.

It wires just like the stock thermo switch. 2 male spade terminals. Normally open until temp set point is reached.

I think its time that we demand mods to make DIY or we can vote to remove their mod status /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That is actually an excellent setup Terry.

I can tell you from experience from both the industrial and automotive industry, the fin design and quality of a radiator will dictate how well it will perform. Radiators and intercoolers are one of the few parts that I actually spend quite a bit of money on to make sure I get quality.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting Terry Posten:

Mounted with straps? It won't leak? Any pics? I am very interested in doing this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts