The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GGSX Bad Tranny?

dlesser

Hey guys. Finally finished some things at work and I can get started on making my Galant GSX into a daily driver. I love the idea of N/T AWD for Colorado!

Anyway, here is my problem or possible problem. My GVR4 has a welded center diff. It is not my first tranny with a welded center diff. My GGSX is bone stock as far as I know. Everything looks untouched. The problem is when I drive the car and go around any corner it feels identical to my welded center diff in the GVR4. The tires break free a little and you can hear the tires slipping on the pavement.

The car rolls fine and it doesn't bind up when pulling into a parking spot like the GVR4 does. Call me crazy but it feels like a welded center diff but it shouldn't be!

So with that in mind what would you recommend I check first. Not interested in pulling the tranny unless I need too. I have access to a lift. So I guess my real question is should I pull the transfer case and look at it? Should I put it on the lift and rotate the tires while holding others? Really I am looking for a way to identify what is wrong without having to toss a bunch of parts at it. If it is the tranny then I am guessing I could swap in a DSM rear diff and DSM tranny correct?

Thanks for your suggestions!

alansupra94

There is a GSX owner on here that knows quiet a bit about transmissions however, he hasn't been on in like a week or so. He more than likely knows the answer to your question.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
There's some good info in the how-to section on this topic

transmission code thread

t-case thread

Hopefully, those threads will help you identify what you have.

Be sure to check the tag on the rear diff as well (but know that folks can and have swapped diff covers so it's not a gaurantee that's what inside.

Good luck and post up what you find!

dlesser

I put the car on the lift and checked all the model numbers for the tranny, transfer case and rear diff. They are all correct :). This car actually has all original parts based on the VIN numbers and models found on the car.

I then checked the tire size....looks like the previous owner decided it was ok to put a different size tire on in the rear :-(. With the car on the lift I was able to determine that I also have a bent control arm on the driver side in the front. So, I ordered a new control arm and then replaced the fluid in the rear diff, transfer case and transmission.

There is still something wrong but until I fix the control arm and tire sizes it can't be driven.It is not worth looking into anything else yet since the tire size difference is going to cause problems.

The fluid from the rear diff was horrible. The smell was terrible and it looked like soda pop. I am guessing that the wrong tire size in the rear from the previous owner was cooking the fluid in the rear diff. With the car on the lift I was able to hold one wheel and turn the others. It appears that the GGSX has open diff's all the way around. Does this sound correct?

The real technical question is what is causing the car to bind up tires when I turn sharply....

List of Parts to replace or fix:
Struts...needs 4 all around
Driver Side control arm with Ball joint (front)
Exhaust system (current one is rusted and broken)
4 Matching tires!!

dlesser

Never got around to updating this thread....

Replaced the rear diff....that was not the problem but helped since the new one was not cooked.

With new struts and 4 new tires it appears the problem is in the tranny. It feels like a welded center diff so I have to assume that the cetner diff is shot.

Now I am looking for a GGSX tranny or I am swapping everything to DSM parts.

mitsuturbo

Swap in a DSM trans and rear end. If you're asking about a GGSX tranny having problems, the answer is yes. EVERY single GGSX i have seen, had transmission problems. Even when i've seen them in the junkyard, they were there because of a bad transmission. I've seen about 10 of these cars, and owned 3 personally.

The W5M31 trans is a VERY weak, shitty transmission. Plain and simple. Swap in a DSM setup not only because they're stronger, but because they're far more readily available.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned