The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Leaky turbo

vtecds1

I was doing a boost leaks test and found some air leaking from my turbo. Anybody have the same problem and found a solution for it? It didn't have a gasket around it so I'm leaning towards putting some sort of sealant. The problem is that I know it gets super hot and it might melt. I was thinking of using Hylomar. The part that leaks is highlighted red.

beaner

I've learned the hard way to pull the compressor housing off every turbo before installing it to redo that seal. Last week I installed my Turbonetics 60-1 and the compressor housing was just like yours. No seal, no o-ring. I just assumed it's machined perfectly so there's no need. If your surfaces are clean (I see yours aren't) and it's still leaking, pretty much any flavor RTV is fine. I've used it on every Mitsu housing with zero issue.

GSX_TC

How is a 60-1 supposed to come on a part like that? Is it supposed to have a metal seal or something there? Reason I'm interested is Bevause I have a 60-1 on my GST. Not sure if it's leaking though.

stealthtt24

Had the same problem with fp3065. Here is a thread I made on dsmtalk, I ended up RTV'ing it and no more leaks! I tried the o-ring technique people mentioned but it did not work for me.

click

vtecds1

Quoting GSX_TC:
How is a 60-1 supposed to come on a part like that? Is it supposed to have a metal seal or something there? Reason I'm interested is Bevause I have a 60-1 on my GST. Not sure if it's leaking though.

My turbo, iirc is a Turbonetics 60-1. It didn't have any seal on it when I went to check the measurement of the blade. I guess when a lot of people check for boost leaks, they don't bother checking the turbo(at least I didn't until today).

Does anyone know hot how these things get? I have some Hylomar at hand and it says it's good to 57x degrees. If not, it looks like I would have to get me some copper RTV.

Last edited:

vtecds1

Copper stuff it is...

alansupra94

I used that copper stuff on all my exhaust things. I am sure it will be fine.

Overkill

I will have to check my fp3065 as I never knew this could be an issue, but I do know the last boost leak test I did only leak at the throttlebody seals a little.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned