The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! New Clutch-No Fans

maxash0775

Hey guys need your help. I just did my first clutch job(dont ask how many hours it took). Got it all put back together and was warming it up and noticed the fans never went. Also, my needle stayed in the middle after idleing for 15 minutes. I did not check fuses or anything (sister in law were i am doing the clutch job kicked me out because it was midnight.

Any ideas. I dont recall touching anything fan related but it is in the area where I took off everything else and possibly could have caught something.

Please help. If there are any major problems my wife will kill me as this is the 3rd GVR4 that I have had and had to work on ASAP.

THANKS

dlesser

On the thermostat housing you should have a total of 4 sensors. If you stand at the front of the car with the hood popped take a look at the thermostat housing. On the side that faces the front of the car you should have two sensors. A 2 wire sensor and a 1 wire sensor. 2 wire is for ECU temp, 1 wire sensor is for gauge on dash. On the top of the thermostat there is a 2 wire sensor for the AC and a 1 wire sensor in the back of the thermostat housing. Check to make sure you got everything connected.

Now look at the radiator. On the driver side there is a 6 pin plug. This goes to the fan, a resistor, and a sensor on the bottom of the radiator. Make sure the sensor on the bottom is plugged in.

If everything is plugged in then here is what I do to test. I take a small piece of metal and I unplug the sensor from the bottom of the radiator. Use the metal piece to jump the two wires together. This should force your fan on when the car turns on. It it doesn't we need to look for the short in the circuit.

Hope this helps.

maxash0775

Thanks for your advice. I will try when I get a sec. i did move my car and noticed when I put the A/C on it does turn the fans on. I dont know if that helps narrow down a particular issue.

Overkill

Are you sure its getting hot enough to turn the fans on. Go drive it around and watch your temp gauge.

JSchleim18

You may have pinched a wire putting the trans back on.

fastfalcon94

ground the connector on the back of the thermostat and see if both your ac and radiator cooling fan turn on high. This will test your fans. Make sure the 6 pin connector going to the radiator fan is plugged in.

Stock, your coolant temp sensor on the thermostat neck need to see 190 for the thermostat to open. Once this happens coolant flows to the radiator. Once another sensor in the radiator sees 180 degrees the fan should kick on low. When it sees 200 the fan should kick on high.

If you don't have a/c or you want to test it another way, you can pull your a/c fuse. Now pressing the a/c button should turn both fans on low. I don't have a/c so I pulled the fuse. I also got rid of the resistor packs on both fans and soldered the wires together. Now when my radiator sensor sees 180 it turns the fan on high. And if I press the a/c switch both fans turn on high instead of low. Basically low and high both equal high now.

maxash0775

Great info. I drove my car a short while to ensure it was getting hot enough and still no fans. What is bothering me more so is that my gause on my dashboard never went past the middle which is the normal operating temp for my car. What controls the temp. that the gause sees? I am thinking that the fans aren't turning on because the engine isnt sensing it getting hot.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks guys. My wife is giving me sh@t because it isn't running so I need to resolve yesterday.

maxash0775

To all of the well informed. Please try not to laugh at what I am about to tell you what the issue was. After a week of stressing after my install and thinking there might now be a magical head issue, after changing the thermostat, after checking each sensor 1 million times it comes down to.....AN AIR BUBBLE. What the heck is that?? The mechanic I took it to (run of the mill mechanic)told me it just needed water . I told him that I drained the water and filled the radiator from the top. He said air got in and water wasn't passing by the sensors to make them hot enough to trigger the fans.

Has anyone else heard of this? I have always just filled it from the top. Oh well, all is working, fans go on and car runs fine for now.

I will take it as a learning lesson!!

I want to thank all who have contributed and helped me out in a time of need, I learned allot in the process.

spooling92vr4

Always make sure to burp the system.. let the car run and heat up with the rad cap off get all the air out

maxash0775

A $130 later and now I know. i feel like a moron.

While I am typing, anyone know what the k5t47184 thingy does. It has a valve on top to turn and I accidently turned it and dont know how many turns it should be at.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned