The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

occasional thumping at 45+ mph and 'sticky' driveline

trunks

I've got a new used transfer case on the way but I'm contemplating getting a new drive shaft as well. It more and more frequently is making a thumping sound below my feet at cruise. I made my own exhaust and it does come pretty close to the front carrier bearing and I'm thinking that it melted it.

Also, occasionally I've noticed the car will not coast down very well like a plow is hooked up. Today on an incline bridge, I didn't even have to hit the brakes to stop it from rolling backwards. I did swap out the rear differential last winter but have put a couple thousand miles on it since then. It's almost like something gets bound up occasionally and then releases.

I'm looking for any experience with symptoms like this before I drop $750 on a dds drive shaft and hoping it's not the rear differential!

Thanks.

Galantvr4559

Take ur driveshaft out and check u joints for movement. If so get it rebuilt by ur local driveshaft shop. I just had my galant drivrshaft rebuilt and it cost me $200. And u can also repack ur carrier bearing with silicon.

trunks

I rebuilt it a year ago, but I think the front carrier is jacked up from the heat. It's always had coast down noises, but the thumping under power is new. I went back to a oem flywheel which helped some but still a bit noisy. I'm hoping it is just the driveshaft.

Overkill

I would try to fill the carrier with window urethane before spending a bunch of money on rebuilding your driveshaft

Diego

^ thats what is in mine..... Maybe its just a "Colorado thing"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Galantvr4559

Dont use window urethane that sh*t is expensive. Use a high temp silicon but when u do it let it sit for a day before driving it. If the doesnt work. Try checking the condition of the slip yolk. Mine went bad from idiot who lowered the crap out of my galant. Now its back up in the air and drives smooth.

Galantvr4559

I just got new carrier mountings bushings from mit. That also helped. But when I did my driveshaft I didnt repack my carriers. And all is good

trunks

I did just lower it further than it had previously been and that's when it started. I assume it was damaged do to bottoming out or am I missing something? Mines never hit anything.

trunks

I went from whitelines in the front to a megan / koni combo leaving the whitelines in the rear. I've been reading about pinion angle but yet to really understand it? I always thought lowering it had nothing to do with the drive shaft but it is odd that right after the swap the vibration started.

I've noticed that it mostly does it when accelerating and seems to almost break free after a bit on the highway at speed. Around town it really starts to bind up. I've stopped driving it for now since it's been getting worse. I did order a new drive shaft but I want to make sure that's going to solve it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Galantvr4559

Ok the same thing happened to me. The easiest way to explain is that when ur car sits at stock ride height ur slip yolk is all the way in the transfer case. The more u drop it, the more ur slip yolk will be pulled out because ur actually making ur wheel base longer, slightly but enough to cause damage. Stop driving ur car and and pull drive shaft. Look at tip of slip yolk I bet it is rounded. Also look for metal shavings in the trans case out put shaft. the place I had my driveshaft rebuilt at had a good one laying around. My galant had the same issues. Bring the car back up a little it wouldnt hurt. Hope this helps.

trunks

Okay thanks for the advice I will take a look but I did find the problem tonight - passenger axle exploded. Oh well, I wanted to get a new drive shaft anyway to get rid of the noise.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

trunks

Well the axle was shot but thump persisted. My driver's side wheel bearing was complaining on my test drive now and smelt pretty nasty.

I plug one hole and water comes out another..

GSX_TC

Haha just like a diamond star

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts