The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Data logger issue

Hopefully some one can help as I'm about ready to rip my hair out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I've been searching for days, tweaking downloading more software etc. I made a logger cable as is shown on this site, with a female RS-232 socket with the 2nd and 3rd wires altered acordingly.
I made sure it was right by looking at the pin numbers and not just photos. I'm using MMcd with a Palm emulator hotsinked to my laptop. When I go to 'Test mode' and check it comes up with "ECU comm error" if it wasn't communicating in some way it would be "Serial comm error" so it would apear it's the car or the obde port and not my cable or software /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The engine light is on, so that makes it pretty important that I figure this out. I have already checked with a LED and it is saying 42=fuel pump? the car is running fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif However even if there was not a check light comming on I still want to get the data-logger going.

Any help would be much apreciated.

Andy_S

Are you using a computer with a rs232 or are you using a serial-usb converter? By the picture, it is wired correctly. Are you sure it is connected to the proper pins at the diagnostic connector?

Realy apreciate the help!

My laptop has an rs232 on the back. My car only has four pins on it, I'm sure they are as follows... #1 (forget the color but it's next to #2) #2 yellow/red #10 white and #12 black, I have it earthed (the two connectors that wire together) are on pins 10 and 12, that goes to pin 5 on the rs232. The other wire is connected to pin 1 beside the yellow/red wire. Obviously there is a signal because the LED light flashes a CEL. is it a posibility that it's not going into diagnostic mode? are there such a thing as an ECU that can't be read?

My Laptop is a Dell Latitude D600 running windows XP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_S

Hmm, everything sounds spot on. In addition, you're using straight serial, which avoids a lot of complications. I wish I could be of more help, but my one suggestion would be to try another logger interface thats designed for PC to rule out if its the palm emulation causing an error. Something like TMO would work.

Last edited:

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I tried TMO first, it came up with something akin to "incorrectly connected to ICE" or something, it's definately connecting to something because if I just disconnect it or connect it incorrectly to the obd it says it's not connected to the comm port. Do you think the fact I'm using a PASIVE as aposed to active cable could cause this? but something is going on so I don't know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif or maybe some ecu's just aren't loggable???

Andy_S

Is your ecu a dual board jdm ecu? It could very well be because of that. It is definitely not related to a passive vs active cable because I use a passive with xp and TMO, your same setup from what I gathered.

Yes it is a Duel board JDM 1990. Would I have an issue using a 1g eclipse ECU? eather eprom or non eprom? that could be an upgrade for me, how much in US dolars could I expect to pay for a T/E/L 1990 ECU? Before I go to that trouble is there a way to be SURE that it isn't something else?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts