The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

It looks like my galant just ate another alternator

jnava

Staff member
This one is a Bosch version. Maybe it doesn't matter what brand I get, they seem to not handle the hot weather in conjunction with the close proximity of the o2. Other than those issue, would grounding become an issue or upgrading the thickness of the alternator might help? BTW Bosch alts are quite susceptible to failure. At least it's warranty is for 3 years....Lets start counting how many I can go through...Ill have three with this one.

misterfixit

Check, check and check the output. I have had hell trying to get an alternator here for my car.

Seems all the remans cross reference each other and then "assume" a 65A is as good as a 90A.

If its a lower rating, it'll be working harder and crap out faster.

Rich

jnava

Staff member
The previous one was a orielly's but it was a 90amp alt. That one took a crap 3 weeks later. Who has purchased an OEM alt. and how long has it survived?

mikus

Find a good alt rebuild shop, you'll be glad. The lifetime warranty game cannot be won.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Heat shields in place? Best way to fry an alternators diode array, is by overheating it.
A heads up for guys living life on the edge.

dmj

Heat shield is a must have, My original alternator was still strong at 180,000 miles when I replaced it.I was worried it might conk out at an inconvient time due to the milage.I got all new heat shields from Garfield.

spooling92vr4

I went through tons of alternates before I broke down and bought one from Satan... It's still going strong.. but will be replacing with a Saturn alternate soon.

jnava

Staff member
I have a three year warranty but labor is always going to be a factor.

cheekychimp

Yeah living in a tropical climate here, I have decided once and for all that I am going to properly fabricate a heat shield for the alternator most likely this summer when I get the Griffin core installed. Someone on here did a pretty good shield for an alternator and I think a cheap stainless steel pan with some tabs welded on would do the job. I'm going to buy one of those cheap brake duct kits with some tubing and run tubes from either the JDM bumper holes near the fog lights or a fan and weld a mouthpiece for the tube onto the shield so that I get a constant flow of external air over the alternator.

alansupra94

Got any pictures of that heat shield? I could really use one when I upgrade. My whole electrical system is poop.

I plan on grabbing a GM alternator since they are normally in the 150+ amp range and come with fan blades on them. I figured that would help as well as with a nice heat shield.

Nabeel

Just find away to protect the alternator from the exhaust & turbo heat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned