The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Limp home condition cause after engine wash ( or large puddle)

Terry Posten

I washed the engine bay late today and cause a limp home condition after driving it for a few miles. This has happened once before years ago when I was running a 3G MAS and now I am running speed density.

After limping it home the last 4 miles and racking my brain to figure out what still could be the common thing that is causing this issue I came to a few ideas.

The very first time this happened it was a torrential rain and after a huge puddle it started acting up. I concluded that it was the MAS that got wet so I dried it out over a few hours and it was fine. So I figured that was it. This time I don't have any MAS and was very perplexed as to what it could be since all the new wiring harnesses for the speed density setup was done with GM seal-tight connectors.

I found that the large stock engine harness plug that sits on the passenger side frame rail was the only common thing between the old stock setup and the new SD setup and sure enough it was soaked. Inside and out. I blew it out with 120psi air and it runs great again.

So, if your car will only idle and rev to 1500 rpms and fall on it's face, pull that plug apart and dry it the best you can.

Terry Posten

Nartanian

Thanks for the info and pic. I plan on washing my engine bay next week. This helps.

Last edited:

Jesh

Well that explains the problem I had a few years ago...

BoostedAWD91

I had the happen years ago at 5am going to work which really pissed me off and I was smelling oil vapors.I looked around and around not finding anything, then just happened to think maybe my catch can is full so I opened the drain and dumped some out and it ran fine again. Not sure if a full catch Can will bring those conditions but it seemed to do the trick.

Barnes

Next time this happens you should put your car into a gigantic bag of rice.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned