The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E39a ZR4 rear diff cup?

Ok so my 89 ZR4 has a evo 1 viscous lsd 4 bolt rear diff and axles in it. The problem im having is that the left hand cv cup does not go all the way into the diff and this is causing diff oil to leak out when driving. It wont go in any further and it does seem to be held in by the "C" clip since it wont pull out without using a screwdriver to pry it out of the diff. It does have the one short spline cv cup and the one long spline cv cup. I have also noticed that when the rear is jacked up and I spin one wheel forward the other spins backwards? Would this suggest stuffed viscous or spline not engaging properly?

Thanks people.

gtluke

my evo 1 viscous spins opposed too. I just used 4 bolt LSD axles in mine, they went right in no problem.

fuel

yeah viscous LSDs more than often don't spin both the same direction if you spin one of the wheels.

CutlassJim

My factory service manual says that to check to see if the car has an LSD rear diff to rotate the rear wheels while jacked up. Both the same way = LSD, 1 opposite = non-LSD. I'm thinking it's because a lot of the LSD's are 15+ years old and are worn as heck, they are wear items after all.

I replaced the viscous coupler in the transmission with a new OEM unit and IMMEDIATELY noticed a difference.

Well its good to know im not the only one with a opposite spinning LSD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . But I still have the problem of my cv cup not going all the way into my diff. I pulled it out this morning and im wondering if maybe the short spline cv cup in my diff could be from a open diff or maybe a mechanical LSD? Is the short spline cup in a viscous different from a mechanical diff cv cup?

Thanks.

Ok so had a bit more of a search on this site and found a picture of someone measuring the shaft of the short spline viscous inner cup and it measures at 2 1/2" where as I have measured mine and it is 3". So going off that I suppose I need to find the correct one.....

Just thought I would update this for future info for people that it turns out that the short cv cup that goes into the diff on a evo 1 viscous LSD is 1/2 an inch shorter than the cv cups that go into a mechanical LSD from evo 2/3 etc.

Yes that shows it perfect, if you use the mechanical inner it works but eventually your diff will die due to leaking all the oil out haha.

RedTwo

Hmmm interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif Attack the offending cup with a band saw?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts