The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clunkin in rear when shifting

maxash0775

Hey all. I am enjoying my new GVR4 but there is an annoying issue with a noise. While shifting, unless I ride the clutch, there is a cluncking noise and you feel a tug coming from the rear. No grinding or issues from tranny, it seems to be drive shaft or rear axels/diff.

Thanks for any input.

Struc

This should have been posted in the Newbie section.

Go to vfaq.com and start reading about driveshaft thump.

Clunking eh? I never heard that when driving, but I guess I always feathered the clutch to drive it smoothly...lol, I never pushed it. I wouldn't be surprised if the bushings are just worn. I always wanted to replace them all, but never had the time.

Barnes

Also worth inspecting your engine mounts, particularly the front one. If they are really worn and sagging somtimes the engine mount will actually contact the subframe during gear changes and make some clunking. It was very apparent on my car because the engine mount was *very* close to the subframe because ther rubber was sagging.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned