The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: #931/2000 Rolling Chassis. Blairstown, NJ NLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateCrisman

05/31/09 No Longer Available. Parting out as of tonight.

There was not a single interested party for the record. No pm, email, or calls.

Ok. Im starting to take #931 apart today in order to rebuild another GVR4 (#139/1000). I'm offering up what will be left of 931 incase someone really has some super desire to save this one.

NJ title says "mileage unknown". By prev owner and internet hunting, Id estimate it at about 195k. Odo says 104k but was swapped at some point.

The body and paint are in poor condition. The chassis has no rust and is straight. I will put together a full set of new pictures detailing the body condition of there is any serious interest.

These are the items that are missing:
complete engine including radiator, turbo system,exhaust, all sensors.
fuel pump sending unit, pump, feed & return lines.
Trans, xcase, front axles, shifter & cables
brake calipers, front lines, master cyl, prop valve, parking cables
ecu, radio, radio trim
shocks, springs
engine/trans mounts and brackets
grill & tail lights

Items that are included (some may not be installed for obvious reasons)
#931 dash plaque and keychain
driveshaft
4bolt rear with axles
5lug hubs
rear brake lines
chassis and engine wiring harnesses
fuel tank & sending unit that has no lines.
full interior including seats.
non matching 1g dsm wheels
GVR4 steering wheel & whatever shifter comes out of 139
head, corner lights.

I have a simple spreadsheet using the prices that parts sold for from the last GVR4 I parted out (#828). By that spreadsheet, I can part out for a total over just over $1900. Ill sell it for $850 if someone wants to rebuild this car. If you want to see my spreadsheet, Ill happily post prices.

I would like the car sold asap, or I will start parting it out June 1. That's about a week and a half the car will be available as a full chassis, after that, Im going to start selling off parts.

426339388_mbhY7-L.jpg

426339341_Hyvom-L.jpg

426339829_35yuS-L.jpg

will post more pictures tonight after I pull the motor/trans today.

Last edited:

1badgvr4

Damn you for being so far away. I needz a sunroof so bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

NateCrisman

Walking around the car right now, I counted 26 individual significant dings or creases. Not counting cracked bumper or scuffed plastic ground effect parts. Every panel has damage.

gtluke

nate wants so bad to crush this car so he exaggerates the hell out of the condition. the body is in average shape, and remarkably straight besides the door dings. virtually no rust and no rot. clearcoat is peeling like the rest of our cars, front bumper is poor but usable. it's got 89 tails and the 89 map pocket thing.

NateCrisman

89 tails are going on #139. undecided if I want to hold onto the 92 tails incase I want to change it someday. As stated above, the shell comes without any tail lights as of now.

The ding count was no bs. I'm not going to argue with Luke about the condition of the car right in front of me. If someone wants to be delusional and call a car with 26+ dings, creases, or dents "AVERAGE CONDITION"...fine. Take luke's word for it. As I said if there is anyone really intersted in buying it, I will take a photograph of every single ding or scratch that's through the basecoat (you will get a gallery of 50+ pictures).

And I don't want so bad to crush the car. What I want is a car with perfect paint, no scratches, not a single ding, not a single scuff, not a single crack, not a single chip in the paint.

I think luke just wants to pretend 931's body is nice becuase his is just as bad and he doesn't want to face reality. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

gtluke

i've personally seen more galant vr4's than probably ANYONE on the board. that car has an above average body. you are delusional on what acceptable is on a 20 year old car.

door dings do not describe the condition of a car. rust/rot and major damage to parts of the car that can't be unbolted determine condition.

you just want to crush it because it's easier.

^+1. I've seen the most cheap versions of the 6th gen Galant in the most worst shapes. 6th gen Galants wich never had seen anything else then salt,snow, and mud. Quite a few of them had severe rust damage, but most of them where all rebuilded and are in very good shape now. And we are talking about the most cheap versions. It's even more expensive to buy 4 new tires for them, than to buy another one with 4 good tires on it...

Seen to many people here parting their Galant because it "wouldn't be worth it". My suggestion if you have a thought like that; store the Galant in the garage, and think a couple of weeks over it. Then you'll see it's not that bad.

Come on guys, where are not talking about a 2004 model Galant here... Neither about a car that still can be bought new... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting gtluke:
i've personally seen more galant vr4's than probably ANYONE on the board. that car has an above average body. you are delusional on what acceptable is on a 20 year old car.

door dings do not describe the condition of a car. rust/rot and major damage to parts of the car that can't be unbolted determine condition.

you just want to crush it because it's easier.

If this car is ABOVE AVERAGE, that doesn't mean this car is in good shape, it just means that most GVR4's are full of dings, failed paint, and broken parts. If that's acceptable for a 20 year old car, fine, then we can call this car average condition for a GVR4. you win, we'll call it average body condition.

Average still means 26 dings/dents, peeling paint, broken plastic, and failing moldings. Ill do the full detail of pictures tomorrow just for posterity. You can't argue with that fact, Ill put up the marked photos tomorrow afternoon to settle it once and for all.

Crushing it vs selling it as a roller, I couldn't honestly care less. If someone wants to rebuild it, great. If not, that's just as great.

All that I really care about is that the one I'm going to rebuild is by your definition of GVR4 body condition, pretty much pristine. Ill get the one single door ding fixed professionally and clean up a couple very minor imperfections (some clearcoat scuffs and a couple little paint nicks). Not to mention 1/2 the chassis mileage, flawless interior, and good title.

If I sell 931 as a roller, the pristine body cost me a couple hundred bucks. If I part out 931, Ill turn a profit on top of getting a pristine body, but put in more work. I'm perfectly fine with either situation.

I just don't understand why anyone would choose to invest a few thousand dollars in body repair on one of these cars when nearly mint body cars are available. In my case, Ill most likely end up making a profit instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

NateCrisman

Quoting galantgti:
^+1. I've seen the most cheap versions of the 6th gen Galant in the most worst shapes. 6th gen Galants wich never had seen anything else then salt,snow, and mud. Quite a few of them had severe rust damage, but most of them where all rebuilded and are in very good shape now. And we are talking about the most cheap versions. It's even more expensive to buy 4 new tires for them, than to buy another one with 4 good tires on it...

Seen to many people here parting their Galant because it "wouldn't be worth it". My suggestion if you have a thought like that; store the Galant in the garage, and think a couple of weeks over it. Then you'll see it's not that bad.

Come on guys, where are not talking about a 2004 model Galant here... Neither about a car that still can be bought new... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

It's simply "not worth it" for me to spend the money having the body on 931 repaired to the condition I want when compared to my out of pocket cost to "body swap". #139 I bought as a rolling shell, it's in just about perfect condition. By GTLuke's sliding scale of GVR4 condition, it's maybe one of the best ones still out there. 86k miles, one door ding, perfect shiney paint, no significant scratches. I paid $1500 for it.

If I had no excellent shell available to buy/swap, then Id have to sit and think about it. But near perfect shells are out there, so it's a no brainer choice.

Nowhere did I say 931 is unfixable. nowhere did I say it is so bad that I would rather not have a GVR4 than have this one. I just have the option of one that is many many times better for a very low cost.

NateCrisman

Ok, a ton of pictures. All were taken over the last two days.

The car has been mostly disassembled, the only things I need out of it still are the tail lights and steering wheel. (didn't want it to rain with no tails and couldn't find my wheel puller yet)

Engine bay and trunk
DSC_6360.jpg

DSC_6362.jpg

DSC_6363.jpg

DSC_6364.jpg

Underside of the unibody. rust free and straight.
DSC_6372.jpg

DSC_6373.jpg

DSC_6378.jpg

Where/how it sits as of this afternoon. If someone wants to buy it, I can roll it back onto the lift and quick bolt up front/rear subframes with wheels so it can roll up onto a trailer and steer.
DSC_6387.jpg

DSC_6389.jpg

DSC_6392.jpg

Now onto the pics showing the body condition. All the white markings are grease chalk that easily wipes off, not that it matters since all those spots should be sanded down, filled, then repainted anyway.
White chalk marks that are circle with a line mean there is a "crease type ding" with a scratch.
White chalk circles with a dot in the center are "center point dings".
Wavey lines mean the area marked is pushed in or depressed.

Pass rear 1/4 panel:
DSC_6299.jpg

DSC_6300.jpg

DSC_6301.jpg

DSC_6302.jpg

The big circle is a big depression that is all wavey. It's reflection is shown in the second pic.

Rear pass door: 4 round dings, the lower door line is pushed flat in the marked spot
DSC_6310.jpg

DSC_6313.jpg

Front pass door: two crease dings, one round ding
DSC_6315.jpg

DSC_6317.jpg

Passenger fender: mangled. someone drove to close to something and crunched in the leading edge of the wheel flare.
DSC_6318.jpg

DSC_6321.jpg

DSC_6324.jpg

Hood: few normal dings and one big depression. The paint is pretty good on the hood though, minimal rock chips, still glossy.
DSC_6329.jpg

Drivers fender: two dings, and again someone got to close to something and crunched in the trailing edge of the flare. wasted.
DSC_6331.jpg

DSC_6333.jpg

Drivers front door: two dings, the half circle at rear is bent in a bit, likely from someone opening the drivers door into a wall or something hard.
DSC_6334.jpg

Drivers rear door: ding city. deep round dings with paint chips.
DSC_6335.jpg

Drivers rear 1/4 panel: three good dings and the bottom of the window is depressed & window doesn't fit right.
DSC_6341.jpg

Trunk: two deep creases like corners of a heavy box set on the trunk.
paint is chipped off from badge removal
DSC_6338.jpg

DSC_6291.jpg

DSC_6294.jpg

DSC_6297.jpg

Roof: three deep depressions. clear coat is peeling off as typical. roof seam trim strips are grey or totally missing green paint?
DSC_6306.jpg

DSC_6308.jpg

DSC_6309.jpg

Front Bumper cover: paint is chipping off from a bad repaint job. Cracked under the pass fog light hole. chrome trim is peeling.
DSC_6326.jpg

DSC_6327.jpg

Drivers front door cap and fender molding: scuffed up, maybe from the same incident that crunched in the fender.
DSC_6340.jpg

Wing: peeling clear coat, otherwise good.
DSC_6303.jpg

Rear Bumper cover: repainted without clear, green paint wipes off on mitt when washing car. no cracks! Chrome is peeling off.
DSC_6298.jpg

So there it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif # of individual white marks: 47

Last edited:

gtluke

you are the worst salesman i've ever seen in my life. why don't you flip it on it's roof with a for sale sign on it?
you are definitely going out of your way to ensure nobody would ever buy it. it doesn't even roll and you are showing peole how you are mistreating it letting it sit on the chassis on a f***ing dolly.

NateCrisman

you should have came over and used your Jedi skills to levitate it off the lift after I took the subframes out to use in #139. Are you suggesting I should have hid the fact that It rolled around on a dolley without subframes? That seams real honest. I needed the subframes for #139, and rebuilding that car is far more important than screwing around trying to find a buyer for this one.

What did I say? "If someone wants to buy it, it's a quicky to roll it back onto the lift and set it down onto two subframes" that came out of 139 later that day. I'm not going to do double the work and reinstall subframes just to take a picture to show the 0 people interested in the shell that it has the ability to roll.

As for the car selling, I couldn't care less. What I don't need is all the "oh sure I want it" that I got twice before when I had mentioned parting/selling it in previous threads, and then nothing happens when they see the true body condition. I'm happy to show exactly what it is, as it is, and be frank about it. No need to sugar coat it and pretend the body is anything more than it really is. I'v had my time wasted more than enough going to look at cars advertised as better than reality. One of the things I pride myself on is being an honest seller, and I would be pissed off if I went to go buy a car like 931 (including renting a trailer costs) and when I got there the "average condition" shell actually ended up being a waste of time.

The photographs detail the body condition, and that's really all that's for sale here: a body, interior, and wiring harnesses. I'm a believer in full disclosure. Would you have put the shell for sale and waited till someone arrived with a trailer to show them what they are buying?

You seem to be the single person who gives a sh*t about it, why don't you come get the car and spend you time/money rebuilding it since it's so awesome and perfect in your eyes and only needs a front bumper and a cheap paint job?

It's going to sit there till sunday, when if it's not sold and gone, I have people waiting for parts from it on monday.

Last edited:

JSchleim18

I haven't seen a for sale ad this detailed even for an $8,000+ Galant VR-4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Haha good job. If it was in better shape I'd consider it.

Bump for a good man

NateCrisman

BTW, if anyone ever needs to move a Galant unibody around without drivetrain/suspension/subframes:

The B pillar is the exact center of gravity. I was able to push the car around completely by myself.

stealthtt24

Wow, im very impressed in the amount of pics and time you made to point out the defects, thats a guy that wants to sell this car! Bump for you.

StarionESIR

I was looking for something along these lines, but unfortunately it just couldnt have showed up at a worse time for me. It seems like finding any early to mid '90s car in NJ/NY/PA without rust is getting more difficult by the day. Filling a few (or alot) of dents is alot easier than doing a full quarter panel replacement.

Nartanian

If you decide to crush it why don't you give it to someone for free instead?

Wilfongtsi

I am also very impressed with the amount of time and honesty you have put into detailing the condition of the shell, most people wouldn't do this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned