The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 1991 GVR4 - Bay Area, CA - PLUS LOTS OF MODS - $6k

This is a very clean, very original '91 Galant VR4 that I purchased from the 2nd owner. The car was a one owner car until about a year ago, when the 2nd owner who was a good friend of the original owner purchased it. The 2nd owner didn't put any miles on the car, he had a T-belt and water pump done that was done wrong (both cams off a tooth) so he just had it towed to his garage and it sat. I got it a few months back and have been having it fixed up, and picked up a lot of nice parts to put on the car but I am working nearly 30 days/mo, traveling at least 20 of those so I just don't have time/motivation for it anymore.

So, here it is, a 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 with 107k original miles on it:
Garrrrant1.jpg

Garrrrant6.jpg

Garrrrant4.jpg

Garrrrant2.jpg

Garrrrant1.jpg

After I fixed the cam timing and tracked down a boost leak (blown-out IC, see pics) it ran great, idled perfect, and read 160psi in 3 holes 165psi in the 4th on a compression check. Once I got it running right, I started taking it apart for the mods/rebuilds.

So, on to the pile 'o parts I've accumulated for it. Basically, I wanted to make an overall fun, competent street car that I can AutoX from time to time (ie when it's raining) and run with some friends on the amazing driving around around here.

Here's what I've picked up for the GVR4 so far:
[*]FULLY REBUILT TRANS W/ TRIPLE SYNCHROS AND OTHER UPGRADES, CUSCO LSD INSTALLED AND FULLY REBUILT T-CASE (I have receipts, over $2k)[*]Re-Capped and DSM-Linked ECU[*]GM MAF[*]MAF-T (w/ extended harness etc) [*]Custom FMIC & Piping[*]EvoIII 16g[*]DSM GT mani (tapped for EGT) [*]EvoIII o2 Housing[*]Denso 660 injectors[*]AFPR[*]HKS 264/272 Cams[*]Cusco Front LSD[*]Poly Rear Subframe & Mustache Bar Bushings[*]Walbro 255[*]3" DP & Muffler to build my exhaust w/[*]Short Shifter[*]Full gauge setup for stock double din location, mounts single din head unit and 3 gauges (Oil pres, EGT, Beeewst).[/list]

Here’s what I think the car still needs: [*]Clutch (I was going to do a ACT 2600)[*]ARP Head Studs[*]OEM Headgasket[*][*]Oil Pan (see pic below)[/list]

You could probably get away w/o the headgasket and studs but I was going to do them for safety.

Some pics of getting to work:
gettingtowork.jpg

F'ed up oil pan:
oilpan.jpg

Compression checks:
compression1.jpg

compression2.jpg

Back together:
backtogether.jpg

Blown-out IC:
blownoutic.jpg

In the gheeeeeeto, in the ghhhhhhhhhhhhhheeetoooo:
ghetto.jpg

(don't worry I didn't drive much or put it into boost w/ no IC, just for idle/light test drive purposes)

Current state:
sits.jpg

I can get a lot more specifics and details for interested parties. PLEASE NOTE I HAVE THE MOTOR, TRANS ETC OUT OF THE CAR RIGHT NOW. I TOOK THE MOTOR DOWN TO HAVE ANY BROKEN BOLTS EXTRACTED AND TO DO THE MODS, OBVIOUSLY THE TRANS/T-CASE OUT FOR THE REBUILD. I could slap them back in w/ the stock clutch, but that seams like a HUGE waste of time. I'd rather sell it as-is to somebody who can tow it home and put their own new clutch etc. in.

Asking price is $6,000 including ALL of the parts I've accumulated for it. You can see I've easily spent more than that in parts, let alone the car itself. Again, just the trans work was $2k AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDING BUYING THE LSD WHICH WAS ALMOST $1k ITSELF. That's nearly $3k or half of my asking price in the trans and t-case alone.

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Not trying to be a ball buster, but damn 6k for a car that does not run, and needs work, and I have never heard of Tripple Syncros. I could be wrong but I dont think they exist.

Good luck with the sale, but I would put your price at 3k with everything or 1k for the shell and part out the rest of it.

You are welcome to your opinion.

As for the trans, maybe it's double. I have the receipts but I'm traveling on business (the reason I'm selling in the first place) so I won't be able to look at it for a while. The Trans/TCase are 0 miles on an over $2k rebuild. So you think the entire car which is EXTREMELY CLEAN and LOW MILES, the evoIII turbo/mani/o2, FMIC, injectors, fuel pump, ecu w/ dsm-link, CUSCO LSD (good luck finding one that is BRAND NEW for less than about $1k once you pay tax/shipping), HKS 272/264 cams, etc etc are only worth $1k total? Hey, if you can duplicate that parts list for $1k AND GET A NICE GVR4 I suggest you do so and sell that sh*t all day on Ebay.

-TJ

Brunoboy

hes right on that one though, honestly for a car that needs to be put back together, 6k is too much, another memeber in norcal posted his at 8k with a complete car, and repaint, and way more mods than you listed.......and i dont even know if he sold it. Just my .02
-Shane

What number is the car? Is the badge on the dash still in tact? Did you get the key fob from the previous owner, or no? Any pics of the interior? Do all power features work?

The good compression is nice to see and you do have some nice parts for it but with the car in pieces you are trying to reach a very very particular audience. If you can find it in you to get the new clutch and put everything back together I think 6K sounds very reasonable.

Good luck.

FORCED_FED

You should change your title from "plus lots of mods" to "plus lots of extras" as these parts are not installed. Price is way too high... But good luck on the sell.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

How about all you broke people stay out of his for sale thread. You don't like the price, don't buy it. If you think you can get it somewhere else for cheaper go ahead. Simple as that. If you have comments or low ball suggestions take it to PM's.

1941Galant

This car seems like a great base to start off of. If I was in the market for one I wouldn't have a problem spending $6k on it. Good luck with the sale.

Hill

Thanks for the positive replies, I have a pic of the dash plaque but it's hard to see the number. I don't have the key fob. I'll work on more interior pics (including a good pick of the dash plaque) soon and can answer any questions a serious buyer has. Please feel free to PM if you're serious.

-TJ

BTW, I never said I wasn't willing to entertain offers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-TJ

Hey TJ, it's Mark, sad to see you trying to get rid of the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Although, I must say I know how you feel, as you well know I was trying to sell mine for quite a while. But, I have decided to ressurect mine into a solid DSP car this year (I have a thread going in the tech section about it). Well, good luck with the sale, you better quit working so hard now that the Solo 2 season is about to start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hey, if you ever consider selling any of the parts seperate, let me know as I might be interested in some of them (especially the tranny & DSM Link ECU). I even have parts I could trade back to you or the new owner....let me know.
Take care, Mark

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts