The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 1992 Galant VR-4 205/1000, $3500 OBO Des Moines, Iowa

blacksheep

Well, its come the time to sell 205/1000.

- Nile Black with sunroof.
- I bought the car from the forums here in December 2012 from Michigan. You can probably find the ad unless its been deleted.

The Good:

The car is stock except for:

- 2.5" turbo-back exhaust and a Jun BL muffler. Came this way. Stock exhaust had rotted and replaced with this.
- Rockford Fosgate period-correct CD player. Have the dual din stock headunit with CD player. Unsure if it works or not, but will go with the car.
- Body is in great shape overall. Original paint shines and only fade is in the windshield moldings the usual upper door frames (but is not ashy white).
- Interior is in excellent shape for a car this old, drivers seat bolster has one larger worn area, but not cracked thru. Rear seats are perfect. Steering is in decent shape as well. Carpet is in excellent shape.
- Engine is bone stock. It even has the original air box and the goofy front airbox intake dealie with the lid on it.
- Trunk paneling, spare tire, tool kit all there.
- Have owners manual and keyfob as well.
- I got a ton of service records from the previous owner which date back a ways. I think he was the 2nd owner and I am the 3rd.
- Runs and drives just fine. No rattles, creaks and such.

Since I bought the car, I have done the following:
- New oil pan
- New front lower control arms.
- New outer tie rod ends.
- New front swaybar endlinks.
- Transmission flush and BG in it. It shifts great and no grinds. Actually impressed with this transmission.
- Replace axle seal on transmission on drivers side.
- T-case has redline shockproof (red in color).
- Rear differential was flushed as well.
- All new rotors, calipers and brake pads on all 4 corners and completely flushed out old brake fluid and replaced with new.
- I have new camber bolts to go with the car, it does not pull at all and goes straight as I measured and installed the tie rod ends and camber position on the bolt. On Friday, August 23rd, I had the car aligned at Firestone. Caster and Toe was off. The car does drive better now and tires seem to grip more. Cost me $90.
- Tires are decent, but older. Previous owner didnt drive the car much at all.
- Timing belt and such was all done recently by previous owner.
- I put castrol in it and a mobil 1 oil filter.
- It has a cool mitsubishi OEM sunroof wind deflector. Only one I have seen.
- Previous owner believes it came with a fixed antenna from factory. I need to go thru the records and see if had been swapped at some point.
- 4WS is intact and no leaks.
- Sunroof, AC, cruise, ABS, heat windows, locks etc all work.
- Has all emissions.

Now for the bad:

- A couple of dings here and there. Rock chips on the front bumper. It adds to the patina of the car.
- One of previous owners must have had a damn cat that liked to sit on the car. A few scratch marks here and there on the trunklid and roof. I hate cats for a reason...
- The usual dash lift in the defroster vent area. Original mats are pretty worn, but still there.
- I noticed the area around the oil pan is slightly wet again tonight, but I think its coming from up higher, guessing the oil line that runs into the filter housing. I have no ambition to fix it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
- The idle is somewhat funky, it hangs at 2K when idling down and then drops to 1000 or less.
- Bottom of front doors show some bubbling rust. I will take pictures of these for sure.
- Passenger side windshield molding trim is missing, I have a set of new OEM molding for both sides which will go with the car.
- Trunk will not open with the key.
- Gas door seems temperamental - will pop sometimes. It does not release sometimes. Have to use the key to open it.

Finally, the ugly:

- No secrets here, the front frame rails are rusted, especially passengers side. The bottom of the fenders are gone on both sides. The doglegs went back on, but bottom two bolts are unsecured. I don't have the skills to fix it, nor the money and time.

At this point, I am just selling it to cut my losses which in all honesty is huge. I paid top dollar for this car thinking it was mint and all the pictures I got didn't indicate the cancer that was hiding beneath. I could use it as a beater, but it depresses me to even see it sitting in the garage anymore.

I really think the car is good for someone to buy, tinker with and run into the ground and part out. Else, someone can buy it and fix the rust and save the car. Its worth saving, I just don't want to deal with it like I said before.

I am in Des Moines, Iowa. You are welcome to fly/drive in and drive it back. I am pretty confident it will make it anywhere in the country, although being a mitsu, I will say, I am not 100% confident.

I don't want another gvr4 for trade. If I do take a trade, it will probably be an older pick-up like a ranger 4wd extended cab or Mazda B-series (rebadged ranger). I would like a beater truck for house chores and winter use.

You want any details, ask away! I will pretty much tell you like it is.

I would like $3500 for it. I paid way more, but cannot justify asking close to what I paid knowing the rust is there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Here are all the pictures I took. If you need more, let me know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Exterior pics:

DSC_0007_zpse0a19ad4.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsae859eff.jpg

DSC_0005_zps25b62456.jpg

DSC_0006_zps099f04ec.jpg

DSC_0003_zps0d7df77a.jpg

DSC_0002_zps81b468ca.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsd4dc33f4.jpg

Drivers side front door:

DSC_0002_zps4266c75f.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsf2c0fd4b.jpg

Drivers side rear door:

DSC_0004_zps006c10b5.jpg

DSC_0003_zps3d482423.jpg

Passenger side rear door:

DSC_0006_zpsdca367b1.jpg

DSC_0008_zps8fd2f9e3.jpg

Passenger side front door:

DSC_0007_zps3e477413.jpg

DSC_0005_zps93e02c19.jpg

Interior pictures:

DSC_0009_zps5d1aea10.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsaf3a9396.jpg

DSC_0011_zps6b991abb.jpg

DSC_0012_zps49d42159.jpg

DSC_0014_zps2d03fe1b.jpg

DSC_0013_zpsed133df0.jpg

DSC_0015_zps4aa20965.jpg

DSC_0016_zps33a15795.jpg

DSC_0020_zps41045fa5.jpg

DSC_0021_zps9768ae05.jpg

DSC_0018_zps6d529b75.jpg

DSC_0035_zps163f27d1.jpg

DSC_0036_zps1966282f.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsb4d7e53b.jpg

Trunk pics:

Interesting strip on the panels. I have never seen this on a gvr4 before on the trunk panels.

DSC_0023_zps7b2a3496.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsda1722d5.jpg

DSC_0027_zps8ba58467.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsc4a55db5.jpg

DSC_0024_zps0d701356.jpg

Gas filler pic:

DSC_0022_zps875ab1ad.jpg

Cat scratch pics:

There are a few of these. Maybe 4 or 5 and only visible in some angles.

DSC_0029_zpsd92d2041.jpg

Wheels and tires:

DSC_0030_zpsfe9f681b.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsde4ab4b6.jpg

DSC_0031_zps65d4e9cc.jpg

DSC_0033_zpse71ad202.jpg

Wind deflector:

DSC_0034_zpsdabb34ec.jpg

Front end pics trying to show rock chips:

DSC_0039_zpsbf879b74.jpg

DSC_0037_zps91f32c43.jpg

Engine pics:

DSC_0040_zps588aa8cf.jpg

DSC_0041_zps990706dc.jpg

DSC_0042_zpse9b86f0c.jpg

Hood edge pics:

DSC_0044_zpsac80c841.jpg

DSC_0043_zps57a74515.jpg

Trunk edge pics:

DSC_0046_zpsf9738727.jpg

DSC_0047_zpsb71d0ed0.jpg

Spoiler to trunk pics:

DSC_0048_zps553f79e3.jpg

DSC_0049_zps50bbbb31.jpg

Dings:

DSC_0050_zpsd4a25588.jpg

DSC_0051_zps21633528.jpg

Dash Lift:

Its aboit 3-4" long in the middle. Not as bad as some other cars where the vent is falling in almost. But, its happening, so it is pictured!

DSC_00042_zpseec874f3.jpg

DSC_00062_zpsd0f5e9a2.jpg

Rust pictures:

These do look disturbing and gory. But, look better in person for some reason, unsure why. Maybe it was the extreme close-up LOL. Again, nothing to hide and I would hate for someone to question my integrity in the future...

Drivers side: Not bad at all. This should be an easier fix.

DSC00503_zpsfa049881.jpg

DSC00502_zpseb74c904.jpg

Passengers side: More detailed fix required.

DSC00500_zps07bd2f35.jpg

DSC00498_zps164addf0.jpg

E-brake position when fully raised:

Drew asked about the e-brake. I took some pictures of it when fully locked to give him an idea. If I was to comment on it, I would say I pull up and it locks just above mid-way. It holds just fine. I see no issues with it. When I did the brakes etc, it seemed to be OK, so I didn'r replace the cables. I know it can be adjusted under the center console and it may need that to lock closer to the shifter.

DSC00743_zpsba1ec5d3.jpg

DSC00742_zpsd39bb5d7.jpg

Last edited:

4orced4door

Looks clean on the outside. It's a bummer that it didn't live up to your expectations, but it'll make a great car for somebody at this price.

blacksheep

It is really clean for the age, IMHO. Thanks, Paul. I hope it goes to a good home. I will take a lot of pics tonight and post up!

Jesus_Negros

I must be out of the loop. How bad is the rust for you to sell it this cheap?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
KC, you should just drive this thing. Left side doesn't look too bad, right side does need some fixin'. Very nice car otherwise.

G

Staff member
Now that's how you post a car fs. Gl with sale it should sell quick.

blacksheep

Thanks, G. Coming from you, I am humbled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I will post even more if they want to see pics of something specific.

drew367

I know this is minor, but what do you mean by "dash lift".
Would you please post pic. Maybe I've just not noticed it on my car, and it seems as if it's normal.
Any thoughts on what is causing the roving idle?
Also, other than the front frame rails, is there any other extensive rust on the undercarriage, such as under the seating area, or on the suspension mounts/components?

I agree with those above, an outstanding posting of details.

Very classy, and rare.

Bravo.

maroonmetallic

KC,

Good luck with the sale. Also, after looking at the rust issues I should let you know your descriptions are opposite of the pictures. The pictures show the passenger side in worse shape.. unless those pictures are inverted somehow.

Regards,
-Shawn

blacksheep

Quoting drew367:
I know this is minor, but what do you mean by "dash lift".
Would you please post pic. Maybe I've just not noticed it on my car, and it seems as if it's normal.
Any thoughts on what is causing the roving idle?
Also, other than the front frame rails, is there any other extensive rust on the undercarriage, such as under the seating area, or on the suspension mounts/components?

I agree with those above, an outstanding posting of details.

Very classy, and rare.

Bravo.

Hi Drew - Thanks for the kinds word. Now to answer your questions:

1) Dash lift - Thanks for the reminder. I added 2 pictures showing it. It is very common on gvr4's especially in hotter areas for the dash to separate from the defroster vent. There is a fix for this, but its tedious. If you look in the general discussions forum, someone has posted a detailed how-to. Actually, here is the link for you to check out the fix... click

2) Idle - It does not fluctuate etc like when ISC is going bad. No up and down, up and down hunting. What I see happen is when I am coming up to a stop sign, I clutch in and drop down from 2nd to neutral and the idle will hang at 2000 rpm and then quickly drop to normal. Its not a gradual fall. Most won't even notice it, but I do. I could be nutty tho and am known to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3) There is surface rust and some flashing, but nothing alarming. I think most guys will drop the 4WS, go to 4 bolt LSD etc with these and while doing those projects, a lot of the rust can be cleaned up. But, it has not eaten the front and rear subframes etc. Hope this helps!

blacksheep

Quoting maroonmetallic:
KC,

Good luck with the sale. Also, after looking at the rust issues I should let you know your descriptions are opposite of the pictures. The pictures show the passenger side in worse shape.. unless those pictures are inverted somehow.

Regards,
-Shawn

Shawnatello - You are right. I will fix this. Thanks, brotha!

4orced4door

I wish all the morons who post horrible for sale ads would take some notes from you, KC. Like that guy with the "kensington grey" nile black car in Virginia. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

blacksheep

Thanks, Paulie.

I did show the car last night to a guy in town. He commented more than once he was not expecting it to be this clean. That made me feel good!

drew367

Any idea what the cost may run for the rust repair?
Not so much the door bottoms, but the structural work and quarter panels?

Jesus_Negros

Oh Lawd

Keep it.

blacksheep

Quoting drew367:
Any idea what the cost may run for the rust repair?
Not so much the door bottoms, but the structural work and quarter panels?

Hi - I asked a buddy who owns a shop. He said probably 1500-2000. It would all depend on how much detail is put in, I suppose.

drew367

Forgot to ask, CK, how's the suspension? Has anything been replaced, and w/what?
At 119, 000, I know I had to start planning full suspension rebuild w/bushing/KYB's/springs etc...

Are the KYB AGX's still the "best" way to keep teeth and kidneys in place? If not, suggestions?

G

Staff member
Dibs on the sunroof visor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts