The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Ten years worth of mods in one page (stroker, gt30r, TRE tranny) - SOLD

Luke

1991 Galant VR4 FOR SALE (serial# 201 out of 2000)

Hi guys, I have owned this car for 10+ years, since 2002 to be exact.
I thought I would never sell this car. However, with wife and kid, I simply haven't had that much opportunity to enjoy and tinker with the car anymore.

This car has been my daily driver for years, and I would say that the car needs nothing to be a fun, cheap, and fairly reliable daily driver. All modifications that I have done is targeted towards this goal.

With that said, below are the mods on the car.

The heart of the car:
2.3L stroker motor - installed at 180K miles in 2005
This is a fully built motor by a company called BJ's Cylinder Head, which used to be very well regarded in the old school DSM community
It has 1G 6-bolt bottom end (4g63 iron block) with 4g64 crankshaft (100mm stroke), Wiseco forged pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, ARP head studs, and much more.
The top half is a "stage3" ported 2G head (the intake side was port-matched to the larger 1G intake manifold dimension), and 1mm oversized valves with uprated valve springs. 2G head was chosen because, IMO, it has better intake port angle, improving cylinder filling/volumetric efficiency. It also, of course, has the latest non-ticking valve lifters.
HKS 264 intake/272 exhaust camshaft with adjustable cam gear on the intake side.
MLS metal head gasket

Drivetrain:
This car has 3 limited slip differentials! Front, center and back.
The most significant part is the TRE transmission - installed at 180K miles in 2005.
Jon@TRE is extremely well known in DSM/EVO community for building bullet-proof transmission that can handle the harsh punishment of AWD launches. The gears are treated to make them stronger (www.teamrip.com)
Double synchro 1st and 2nd gear
Shorter 1G DSM first gear, and longer TRE 5th gear (10% reduction in highway rpm)
Quaife LSD (from RRE, installed by TRE)
Stock limited slip center differential
4-bolt limited slip rear differential (more desirable than the stock 3-bolt open diff)
RRE "no name clutch" (just google it)
Rebuilt/refreshed 23-spline transfer case
Reshimmed drive shaft (over time, the all-wheel-drive driveshaft goes out of balance, and creates rumbling noise during deceleration)
AWS (all-wheel-steering) removed with welded rear-steering-rack (which, IMHO, is the right way to remove AWS. Otherwise, the rear wheels will turn slightly in cornering)
Suspension bushings were mostly replaced with delrin bushings.

Suspension:
- Bilstein suspension from EVO MR - installed 8/1/2011.
- Whiteline 22mm front and 24mm rear adjustable swaybars.
- Front GAB strut bar and rear Whiteline strut bar

Wheels/tires/brakes:
- 13" big brake conversion with Corvette caliper. The pistons in Corvette caliper happens to be sized just right to retain the brake balance when paired with the stock rear caliper.
- Old-school precedeo wheels - 17x8
- 235/40/17 Eagle F1 asymmetric tires (bought in 8/2011, plenty of life left. The car hasn't been my daily for a while.)

Intake, Turbos, intercooler and fueling:
- PTE GT3076R dual ball-bearing turbo with the optional, more free-flowing 0.63 A/R turbine housing.
- Ported shroud (anti surge) compressor housing, comes stock from Garrett.
- 2G ported exhaust manifold. No crack.
- 2G intake pipe from dejon tool with 2G MAF, and stealth-modified 2G airbox to pull fresh air from fender area. (it looks like stock 2G Eclipse setup.)
- ETS intercooler (24x10x3) with custom and profesionally fabricated intercooler pipe by FFTEC.
- Fuelab fuel filter with custom made SS teflon fuel lines by a local hydraulic shop. (removes the infamous stock fuel filter banjo bolt restriction)
- OEM Supra 255lp fuel pump, rewired directly to battery with 30Amp automotive relay.
- Adjustable bolt-on fuel pressure regulator
- 850cc injectors from FIC (Fuel Injectors Clinic)
- Dual stage Manual Boost Controller setup (on/off with a switch on the center console.)

Exhaust:
- CMPE 3" downpipe with the addition of a flex section.
- CMPE 3" catalytic converter
- CMPE 3" catback with two resonators added inline, since this car was my daily driver afterall.

Electronics:
- Aquamist water injection, set to trigger whenever boost goes above 12psi. I run distilled water only.
- Oil temperature, oil pressure and fuel pressure gauge.
- Greddy turbo timer
- ZT2 wideband, boost gauge, and EGT gauge with LCD display installed in the stock clock location.
- Xenon/HID conversion for both the low beam (4300K) and foglight (3000K). Headlight is from 1993 Galant, which is glass instead of plastic.
- Alarm system with keyless entry and remove trunk opener.
- Sony stereo and Alpine MRP-F300 4-channel amplifier. All speakers have been upgraded as well, but I forgot what brand.
- Shifter bushings, and short shifter mod. The car shifts very precise, and smoothly goes into any gears thanks to the double synchros.
- Window tints.

Tuning:
Ostrich rom emulator, running a modified stock ECU binary.
Knock count is displayed on stock boost gauge, extended map, 7200rpm redline, phantom knock filtering. Extended map means that you can specify fueling and ignition advance values beyond 15psi, where the stock map maxed out, and just use the same fueling and timing advance past this point.

Misc:
No rips on leather interior. I had an upholstery shop redo some worn section a long time back (same color, you can't tell)
Momo steering wheel
Leather shift knob and shift boot
Four new floormats in 2009
Ball joints, CV boots, tie rods boots, suspension top hats have been replaced
New starter(2011), alternator(~2009), new throttle body (~2009).
Coil pack and power-transistor were replaced with lower mileage OEM parts a few years back.
Manual seat belt conversion
Trim around the door was repainted last year or so.
Rubber weather seal around doors were replaced around 2 years ago.
AC works

Lastly, please note that all modifications was performed a long time ago. All subtle issues that may surface due to these modifications has long since been resolved.

Car just passed smog (both visual and sniff tests) with no problem. The engine runs great, idles great, and is environmentally responsible. The mileage of the chassis is 214K. Most parts above were purchased new and installed somewhere around 160-190K miles. - SOLD.

Link to the full set of pictures

Last edited:

Turbo4door1

Wow, seems like a very well sorted, well put together car, for a fair price. Good luck with the sale.

Before one of the mods comes along and "yells" at you, you might want to add the price to the title of your post.

Luke

Thank you Danny, for the best wishes and also reminding me about putting the price on thread title.

strokin4dr

This car won't last long at that price. Seems like an $8000 car to me.

Luke

Thank you for the good words, guys :)

In case people missed it, this link has a lot more pictures!

Jesus_Negros

Nice car. How does that turbo spool on the 2.3?
GLWS

Luke

About the turbo spool question, I just went ahead and got some concrete data.

With the taller 5th gear from TRE, 75mph on 5th gear is about 3200rpm.
There is zero lag if you floor the car at 75mph/3200rpm.

Then, I slowed down to 2000rpm, which is 46mph on a freeway.
If I floor it at 2000 rpm 5th gear, the car still scoots (not feeling lugged) because of the larger displacement.
But there is turbo lag, I checked that full boost happens around 2500rpm.

In my humble opinion, with the turbo spooling at 2500rpm, and the stroker motor, there is no shortage of low end torque on this car.
I wanted a daily driver, that is why I went with this setup of stroker motor and not too large of a turbo.

Thanks, and I hope that answers your question.

Also, I forgot to mention that the car's title is clean. It hasn't been in any accidents. For sure, no accidents during my ownership, and I also did not see any evidence of body work prior to that.

Last edited:

Luke

Quoting strokin4dr:
This car won't last long at that price. Seems like an $8000 car to me.

You're right! Only 24 hours, and we have a sale pending (deposit in hand)
New owner will pick up next weekend.

I am so happy to see that the car will go into a good home with two other Galant VR4s!

Brunoboy

I'm interested, I have to get rid of my current swapped civic unless you would trade plus cash =P. located near SFO

Luke

SOLD. Thank you for all the interest and good words.

Brunoboy

Congrats, is the new owner on the org?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned