The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Tiny Box of Fun! 1987 Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 - Northwest Indiana $4300

IncorpoRatedX

1987 Mitsubishi Montero / Dodge Raider – Off Road Package
2.6 liter G54B engine (carbureted, factory spec, runs perfect)
5 speed 4x4 – KM145
Solid Axle rear, leaf sprung
IFS front, torsion bar
Sunroof

A month ago I flew out to L.A. to buy a 95 Montero for another cross country road trip (last year I drove a 73 galant wagon) when I showed up the vehicle was not as described and had issues. I didn’t approve of the vehicle and chose to shop around for a day or two, figured if I didn’t find a gem, I’d fly back after a couple of days of soaking up California sun.
After browsing craigslist and looking at a handful of montero’s, all of which I passed on for one reason or another, I came across this little guy. Body is completely rust free, most bolts are still brass in color, vaccum lines are all in great shape, engine bay is clean enough to eat out of. The owner was very honest and up front with me about everything. The truck ran, idled and drove great. It’s so rare to find these things in top notch running shape, usually people have tweaked the carb or removed or lost some vaccum lines and the truck will lose what balls it has, wont idle or wont stay running when cold.
This is not one of those trucks. It was well cared for, maintained, not abused and daily driven in a warm, dry climate. The most important part is this truck showed all the signs of a reliable engine to me, oil looked great, spark plugs looked perfect, no smoke, no noises, no issues, no leaks. Even the air conditioning works perfect, the previous owner reconditioned the AC and made sure it was working top notch for the warm summers near LA. I asked the owner what he thought about it being driven from LA to Indiana and he said ‘I wouldn’t hesitate to drive it anywhere’
He was right. After a week of driving, off roading in the Mojave, Red Rock Canyon, Lake Mead, Arizona, covering somewhere near 3,000 miles, I was welcomed back to Indiana with some snow. After a couple weeks of making some changes to the truck and trying to figure out what to do with a truck I never intended to buy, I’ve decided that it’s better I sell it than keep it.
If I keep the truck it would get the TBI set up from a conquest, conquest turbo and an intercooler, then it would get 33’s and be another one of my unique and fun projects. Which I do not need right now, being that I already have 4 project cars.
Cliffnotes: bought the truck to get me home from California, has proven itself as reliable, I wont be able to leave well enough alone, I know and understand my turbo addiction, don’t need the temptation sitting in my garage when I have two other monteros, two vintage Mitsubishis and two vintage motorcycles.

$4,300 OBO – not looking for trades.
Best way to contact is to call/text 269.357.4372

Upgrades:
15x10 aluminum wheels
31x12.5R15 all terrain pro comp tires, have lots of life left in them
Aisin manual locking hubs, helps the gas mileage quite a bit.
Hella 5 inch auxiliary lights
Composite headlight conversion with silverstar bulbs
K&N OEM replacement air filter
ACCEL high output ignition coild.
Roof rack with roof basket
AMG G55 spare tire chrome cover
Keyless entry and alarm
Other:
Fresh short block 1 year ago, have paperwork to support, installed professionally along with;
Rebuilt head, new timing components, OEM replacement clutch, new slave cylinder and throw out bearing
New fuel filter
New AC pump, AC lines, charged, functioning, no leaks
New catalytic converter, new muffler, fancy exhaust tip
Recent brakes front and rear, ebrake still works
Shocks replaced last year
Has passed Cali SMOG and is valid until 2014, not that it matters here. But is NOT a cali-emissions truck.
Extras:
Brand new mechanical fuel pump, picked one up before leaving cali, can’t get them at auto parts stores around here, have to order them online and I didn’t want to worry about the chance of the one on the vehicle having an issue somewhere on the road.
Pictures are in order from the trip and the newest pictures of the truck are at the very bottom.
pacific_coast_highway.jpg

mojave_preserve_entrance.jpg

mojave_preserve_base.jpg

mojave_preserve_peak.jpg

red_rock_canyon.jpg

red_rock_canyon_trail_1.jpg

red_rock_canyon_trail_2.jpg

lake_mead.jpg

lake_mead_shore.jpg

lake_mead_entrance.jpg

tuscon_car_wash.jpg

collosal_cave_arizona.jpg

arizona_mountains.jpg

indiana_trail.jpg

new_carlisle.jpg

studebaker_plant_1.jpg

studebaker_plant_entrance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancer99

Holy sh*t! You take really nice pictures! Are you a photographer? Damn I might be calling you up once I get my VR-4 running and painted. Good luck with sale! I wish I had the money for it.

IncorpoRatedX

I dunno if that was sarcasm or not, all of those photos were taken with my iphone...

KT

That was quick. Price in title please.

GLWS

Edit - Out of curiosity, what kind of highway MPG were you seeing?

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Fixed it!

Yeah, like I said, I like this thing but the full size montero is my preffered rig.

crimsondragon

Oh now I want one. I like the compact look of it. Too bad it's IFS up front.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

actually, not too bad. makes the truck so much more stable on road for only minor sacrifices off road, very minor. My stock 95 SR on 35's goes everywhere that my buddies locked and lifted xj goes.

Lancer99

No those pictures were amazing at least to me. I can never get any good shots and really those were from using your Iphone? I would have never guessed an Iphone.

IncorpoRatedX

yeah, iphone 5 and olloclip lens. Thanks!

4orced4door

I think the add on lens is the key there...

Also curious about observed mpg?

IncorpoRatedX

total average for the trip was 22 MPG

This includes all city driving I did, mountain driving and off roading, as well as normal high way driving, that's the overall average.

I would estimate highway at 23-25 and city around 18-20, the manual locking front hubs really help to pick up gas mileage.

5OF2k

Any interior pics?

IncorpoRatedX

How could i forget the best and worst parts!

it's still dirty from the trip back, but here's the fun stuff:

interior_copy7.jpg

and the not so fun stuff:

interior2.jpg

MellowVR4

whoa, did not expect that pimp ass headliner lol Very safari like. JK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IncorpoRatedX

DR1665

Bump for a good truck. I saw it up close and personal.

If you've never driven one of these, allow me to offer it's one of the more enjoyable experiences you can have in a vehicle. Climb up into the driver's seat and look out across that big, flat hood. You feel that? It's the spirit of adventure. And it's calling your name.

This will very likely be the slowest, least powerful vehicle you've ever owned. On a good day, it's 108bhp. That's right one-hundred-and-eight horsepower. Thing is, it will probably be the most entertaining machine you've ever owned. It's geared right. Goose it right and the nose will lift just enough off the line to scare that Prius owner into getting the hell out of your way. And pay attention to those revs! You'll want to keep them up as you make your way through traffic. Blip the throttle and rev-match 2nd as you take that corner at a blistering 15mph.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I bought mine a year ago this month. It leaked oil, it required downshifting into 3rd at times to maintain 45mph uphill on the highway, and it dieseled like Uncle Buck's Buick when I shut it down. But I haven't enjoyed a vehicle this much in years. The Galants are nice cars. They're rare, they're deceptively quick, and they're genuinely special. A Gen I Pajero, though, is a completely different animal entirely.

Some people will dismiss it because of the independent front suspension, but you can ignore them. How often do you expect to be crawling over boulders on advanced trails? If you've never seen the Top Gear Bolivia special, download and watch it. They cross the Amazon rain forest and Atacama Desert in beat-ass, $1000 rigs they bought out of newspapers. For 99.999% of your mall-rated adventures, this little truck will surpass your expectations.

And I say this as someone who just spent $500 on a $50 oil pump replacement and STILL doesn't have his truck running right. They're THAT good.

For a reference, I paid $2000 for mine. AC didn't work, leaked oil, dieseled when shut off, starter only works on button (key fail), faded, blistering paint, back door didn't open from the outside, old-ass tires, and more than a little rock rash from overzealous wheelin'. Don't let the interior fool you, Josh knows his vehicles, and this one is mechanically sound.

GLWS

IncorpoRatedX

Driggs, I will pay you to write the next for sale ad for me when I chose to sell a car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

DR1665

Lulz.

This thing will make a bone stock GVR4 feel like a Porsche 911 GT2, but I've never really looked forward to camping in my Galant. :p

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned