The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: '92 BG 489/1000 Radford, VA $1800 obo SOLD

deusamo

First, here's a link to the previous sale.

Since purchase, I bled the brakes and replaced all rotors/pads. Rotors are basic replacement all around. Front pads are ceramic from Autozone. Rear pads are standard replacement autozone. I also replaced the radiator with a standard replacement. Some pics can be seen here.

I fixed the exhaust leak. As you can see in the pictures on the other thread it was just a matter of a gasket.

I'm selling this for a number of reasons. I commute several hundred miles for grad school right now, and I need something that is rock solid reliable. Right now the Galant doesn't fit that description. It could, but the time investment to get it there is beyond my ability right now. Also, I just don't have the time or money to give this car what it deserves. I still love these cars and I want this to go to someone who will treat it right. I'm just not that person. You guys have been a great community and great support for me. I truly appreciate that. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a VR4 as an extra car. But right now I need a daily driver that can take me 500-600 miles a week.

Anyway, here's what everyone is waiting for (I may have to update this if I forget something, feel free to ask questions):

Good -
Interior:
The car's interior is pretty much immaculate. There are no tears anywhere in the leather, and no holes in any part of any trim or dash. The only 'flaw' is the suede (at least I think it's suede) on the passenger door has come loose. It's not torn or damaged. It's just starting to separate. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Mechanical:
The only 'mods' I've done since the previous owner have been a boost controller and boost gauge. Well, and I removed the charcoal cannister and hacked the aircan. The car holds 15psi with no issues. One cold morning it hit 18psi and didn't seem to like it, so I turned to down to 13 just to be on the safe side. Moral of the story: the car pulls hard. There are a few minor mechanical issues, so on to the...

Bad-
Mechanical:

Idle surge. Big surprise there. This is a recent development, and I just haven't had time to address it. It's probably something simple (usually is) but I just haven't had time. Plus it's been crazy cold and I have no place to work on my car other than the outside, so that has been a deterrent.

Also, awhile back my throttle cable broke. Never even heard of that, but it happened. It was the cable from the CC to the throttle body, so I just re-routed the cable from the pedal to the CC and have been using it since. The CC worked perfectly before this, so that would be a simple fix. Again, I just haven't had time or decent weather to work in.

The e-brake still doesn't work. I have a cable, but again no time.

Also, the 4ws does not work. There is a leak in the lines going to the rear which leaves the car without power steering as well.

The blower motor apparently has gone out. It comes and goes. Some days after the car warms up, the blower works just fine. You can imagine why this is an issue.

Finally, there is a coolant leak somewhere. This happened today and has been the proverbial straw. From what I can see, it looks like it might be in one of the lines going to the firewall. Again, no time.

Here are some pics. They aren't brand new, but they give you an idea. I'm going to clean the car up and try to have some good pics posted tomorrow.

Last edited:

deusamo

I fixed the coolant leak today. It was one of the hoses headed to the firewall. I also took a bunch of pictures, but my old camera uses XD cards instead of SD cards and I've misplaced my adapter. So I'll be taking cell phone pics tomorrow, and potentially buying a new adapter. The temps are still a bit iffy (just over halfway ~60% or so) during normal driving. Not sure why. Don't really have time to investigate it either. The car runs well enough in around town driving (up to around 55 mph), so you can still see that. I just don't feel super comfortable with it on the highway right now, which is one of the reasons I'm selling it.

deusamo

So I bought a new XD adapter. These pics were taken yesterday. The car has a good bit of clearcoat fade, and two significant rust spots on the hood (pictured). All other rust is surface level and insignificant. Also, I forgot to mention that 2nd gear grinds a little if you shift fast at high rpms. I'm just used to that being the case with these transmissions, so I don't shift 1st-2nd fast if I'm in higher rpms. It downshifts just fine, and otherwise is completely solid.

Finally, I mentioned earlier that the throttle cable broke. The last picture is my ghetto fix. It's functional, but it isn't pretty. I planned on buying a new cable, but I'm just done with this thing. It's parked in my backyard and will stay there until someone buys it. This isn't one of those "I'll just keep it" situations. I'm motivated to sell. That being said, please only send me reasonable offers. If you have a hard time defining 'reasonable' then spend some time looking at what other VR4's have sold for.

Last edited:

donkeylips

I don't know...this car is very close to being exactly what I'm looking for.
But it's hard to argue that this car has very little rust with a hood that looks like that. It has to have seen some road salt. What do the undersides of the doors look like? And the quarter panels?

Don't worry, I'm an expert on how these cars rust.

deusamo

Undercarriage has some rust, but like I said it's not significant. It's all surface from what I can tell. I'll try to take an undercarriage pic tomorrow.

Jesus_Negros

I'm willing to drive out and look at this car but I would like to first see undercarriage pics and lower door and door seal pics too. Also, under the front bumper pics.

deusamo

I'll take it down the street to a local garage tomorrow for an undercarriage shot. I'll try to take several under the car while it's in the air. Hopefully I'll have them up by mid-day tomorrow.

deusamo

LOTS of pics. I got it on a lift at a local garage and took pics of the undercarriage. My camera isn't the best, so a couple of them turned out blurry. I retook those pics several times and for whatever reason I couldn't get to them to come out clear. In any event, I think they still show where there is rust in the undercarriage. There is rust. I'm not saying this is a rust free car. But the rust is either surface/insignificant, or it is on something that is replaceable. I also took pictures of all the door jams. There is zero rust on any of the door jams.

Here's an update, though. When we got the car on the lift, we found an issue. It looks like the crank pulley is toast. It's wobbly and has thrown the belts. That is apparently why the car overheated before. I know I should have noticed, but there was a definite coolant leak. Somehow the lost belt coincided perfectly with an unrelated coolant leak. That leak distracted me from even considering the belt. Anyway, the garage is willing to replace the crank pulley for me for cheap (~$100).

I want to underscore something here, I know several of you are probably thinking that there are motor problems. There are not. The car pulls and builds boost just fine. But if you are nervous about this, and you would prefer I not have it fixed, I would consider lower offers with the car not fixed. It will still start with a jump, and still run just fine at lower speeds, so I can still take you around the block if you want. But if you would rather I get it fixed, then I will be a little less negotiable on price.

Bottom line, I need this car gone. There is a lot going on in my life right now that I don't really want to get into, but let's just say I don't have time to mess with all this. Someone make me an offer and come get this thing.

Last edited:

deusamo

Okay, seems everyone is nervous about rust and potential motor issues, so here is the deal: If you buy within the next week, I'll take $1,800. I need the money bad, and thought I'd have tax money by then. Apparently the IRS hates me, so my refund is getting delayed until mid to late March. SOOOO...I need the money. And honestly I need the car gone. There were two people interested, and apparently they have been scared away. So let's make a deal guys. Someone can afford to take this at that price. Hell, I almost bought one last year without a turbo that had a good bit of rust and interior problems for $2k. And someone scooped that one up. So this car is worth it.

Jesus! space the pics, my head hurts now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

donkeylips

It was the doors themselves that we wanted to see, the jams never really get any rust.
This is a good price for what could be a great winter car! My car is nearly identical but with a lot more rust and I'm having such a blast right now. Yesterday I drove a couple hours away to where they really got hit hard with the snow and it was just so good. And you don't feel guilty for ruining a clean vr4.
GLWS

deusamo

Well the doors are 100% clean. I can grab some pics later today if you don't mind seeing the car covered in snow. The doors will be visible, though. Let me know if there are any other pics you'd like to see.

ktmrider

More specifically it's the BOTTOM of the doors where these rust ( near the drain holes front and rear ).

Srr

Deff worth 1800 !! That's a good price .. As soon as I sell my Evo ill be looking got a nice vr4

Good lucj

deusamo

Ask and ye shall receive. Unfortunately my camera battery is pretty much done. It won't really hold a charge, and it turns off automatically after each picture. So I know there are a few duplicates here, and a few missing pictures. I'm working on it. There is only one door with ANY rust on it, and that is the front passenger on the outside. There are two pictures of that rust (1st and 4th). It's on the outside, and it's not really that much. It's there, but it hasn't eaten anything. Anyway, I'm letting the battery charge in hope of getting a few more pictures. I'm hoping the abundance of pictures, plus my honesty, plus the price will move this car quickly. I seriously need the money. Let's make this happen, guys.

Last edited:

4orced4door

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to make this happen. The price is more than fair and I see potential in the car. My problem is I have nowhere to park it untagged, I can't daily it because I don't have time to fix the problems that it has and those which arise, and I can't afford to have it tagged and insured as a second car. If I could get it to my Dad's in Florida and let it sit for a year or two, I would, but that adds like a thousand bucks to my cost now, and then I can't afford it.

Close but no cigar. Good luck man, this is a steal for someone with a little time on their hands. I unfortunately have none. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jesus_Negros

At this price I don't believe the car will last much longer.
Seller is really honest about the car, thanks for the time.
GLWS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts