The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Modification Needed on ECU Casing For Use with DS-Map

raptorWagon

I originally wrote this up on the DS-Map forums to help any other fellow GVR4 owner out if they went this route for tuning, late last year. I figure this would benefit everyone more if it was readily available over here since most of us frequent here most of the time. This modification is for fitting the IDE cable from the Ostrich to the ECU without pinching/cutting up the harness in between the case cover and the board.

Your upper half of the ecu Casing will require modification for the Ostrich cable to fit properly, or you could simply try to clamp the case together...but I don't think that would be in the best interest unless you are trying to cut the cable in half for some reason. So What I did was cut a Slit into the upper half, so I could feed the cable through and to sit freely without worrying that I'm pinching/crushing the cable between the lower half(where the ecu board is mounted to). I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel on mine, took all of maybe 10 minutes to do.

Here's what I'm talking about
gvr4dsmapecu.jpg

I'll snap a couple shots tomorrow of my ECU.

jepherz

Staff member
Why not just run the ribbon cable out the bottom by the connector harness? That's what I did, there's no risk of "pinching" the cable, and it's only like an inch shorter when all said and done. I think ran the cable upwards and mounted the Ostrich in the open area to the right of the glove box.

raptorWagon

Personally wasn't comfortable or liked the idea of running the cable over the rest of the board under the case cover and wanted to run the USB cable up through the center console to right by the passenger seat for access. Didn't mean there was only one specific way to do it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts