The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 - running list of items to eliminate/convert...

sleepyvr4

Stage 1 Weight Reduction:

Basic GVR4 stock parts (including engine) to eliminate/modify to reduce weight without compromising safety, emissions, driveability, or anything else "normal"...

1. ABS to non-abs - Click here for how to...

2. Power Steering to 1.8 manual rack, or simply remove all components

3. 4WS (new rear DSM subframe or block off)

4. Cruise Control to DSM 1.8 cable

5. Power Antenna to stubby or shaved/plugged

6. Power Seatbelt to 3 point harness conversion or simply stock lap belt

7. Sounds deadening material removal

8. Power mirror to standard lightweight mirror conversion

9. Aluminum driveshaft(s) installed

10. Stock to Carbon fiber/lightweight hood, fenders, trunklid

11. Stock to lightweight wheels

12. Foglight removal

13. Balance shaft removal

14. Eliminate stock heat shields

15. EGR elimination

16. Lightweight battery

17. Alarm system removal

18. Tool kit, jack and spare tire

19. Stock to lightweight seat conversion

20. Race/Lightweight steering wheel

21. Sunroof elimination (lexan etc)

22. Lightweight flywheel install

23. Intake manifold bracket removal

24. Stock speaker amplifier removal (stereo remains)

25. Wiring harnesses hacked of useless wires

26. Lightweight exhaust (titanium?)

27. Eliminate spoiler

28. Aluminum transfer case install (???)

29. Dashboard hacking/gutting

30. Aluminum/Scirocco Radiator install

31. '92 Center tail light section swap

32. Suspension - save about 25lbs converting to coilovers

33. Under Dashboard Mat elimination

34. Driver's side Motor mount hack

Stage 2 Weight Reduction:

Advanced weight reduction techniques that are "quote unquote" legal/acceptable to some who would still consider the car a daily driver. Many of these cross well over into Stage 3 to some...

1. A/C & all components

2. Heater core/lines

3. Emissions & all related

4. Aluminum bumper install or bumper elimination (some people do this on DD)

5. Timing Cover(s) elimination

6. Stereo and all components removed

7. Remove door crashbars

8. Exhaust down pipe only

9. Eliminate glovebox

10. Stock gas tank to fuel cell

Stage 3 Weight Reduction:

Purely for race intentions - these modifications do not appear daily driver mode at all and compromise everything a daily driver is...

1. Remove all seats except driver's seat

2. Remove interior panels, console, carpet, trim etc.

3. Dashboard removal

4. Lexan to replace all windows

5. Eliminate exhaust

Last edited:

blacksheep

1) Interior Wiring harness modification - Remove all ABS, door sensors, auto belt wiring, stereo wiring, heat, AC, relays etc. You will be surprised. I removed about 10 lbs from my evo doing that. I am sure you can do engine bay harness too...

2) Fuel tank - run fuel cell!

3) Dash support beam/ door support beams

How "race" do you want it?

how do you remove the heater core? Thats in the dash correct? so would you have to remove the entire dash before it can be done?

blacksheep

Pretty sure dash has to come off although I havent done it in a gvr4, personally. You have to undo the two coolant lines running in/out the car on the firewall. Same for AC if you are pulling Evap.

sleepyvr4

Not sure about heater core - may want to keep if car overheats and turning on heater fan is only option...

Balance shafts gotta go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarRacer

Personally I'd keep the timing covers. No sense in letting a rock ruin your day.

I'd add the stock water/oil cooler as well as the water lines going to the turbo. It cleans things up a bunch.

BoostedAWD91

if u want to remove the heater core, u have to remove the entire dash. personally i would just leave it in unless its just a track car

Terry Posten

One thing I would NOT eliminate.....A daily driver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

TakumiJr

Front seats with some milk crates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sleepyvr4

Quoting CarRacer:
Personally I'd keep the timing covers. No sense in letting a rock ruin your day.

Myself (for about a year on 1746) as well as about 3 dsm friends have been running w/o timing covers for years. One friend rallied a 1g awd auto on several occasions and never had any problems...

1990ggsxnj

Quoting sleepyvr4:
Quoting CarRacer:

Myself (for about a year on 1746) as well as about 3 dsm friends have been running w/o timing covers for years. One friend rallied a 1g awd auto on several occasions and never had any problems...

What do you gain out of doing this though??? Besides being able to change the belt without having to take it off.

324vr4

You can get close to 40lbs eliminating the sunroof too...and its at the TOP of the car where you don't want weight...haha ZAP

sleepyvr4

Besides being able to change the belt without having to take it off.

Exactly. Change that baby when you change your plugs and oil lol...

throughfaith323

click

click

both threads are really good. maybe someone can come up with a list and put things in order of what should be done first. things that are free and things that no one would mind removing. then things for race cars and then things that cost money... also things that are dangerous to remove/chnage.

after that list is compiled another thread can be started as maybe a sticky? i might be interested in starting this list when i get some extra time. hopefully someone else can start it too.

what you guys think?

sleepyvr4

that's what we can compile here on this thread -

how about 3 sections:

1. basic crap to remove that does not affect driveability or emission laws or safety etc...

2. advanced weight reduction techniques that are "quote unquote" legal/acceptable to some who would still consider daily driver

3. all out race purpose weight reduction mods

I'll compile it up top on this thread...

feedback appreciated - I'll keep adding ideas...

throughfaith323

sounds good to me...i want to come up with more sections to make it more specific maybe after we have a lot of stuff.

-safety(removing bumper supports, jack/spare tire etc)
-luxury(cruise, AC, heater core, some interior, PS, etc)
-things you can buy(bumpers, cf hood, cf trunk, flywheel, driveshaft, wheels, seets, under dash, balance shaft elim, glove box, antenna, seat belts/harness, etc)
-emissions(egr,charcoal canister, etc)
-things that prob only a track car would do that would change the car alot(lexon windows, as much interior as possible, etc)

there is absolutely nothing wrong with yours its just that i like to be very specific and this is the type of list i had in mind. it helps so that people know what list they can ignore and what list to look at.

throughfaith323

my bad man i didnt see your list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. i like that stage idea. i say you make both cause the stage idea is cool and then if you want to just look right to a specific category you can look at what i had for categorys. know what i'm saying? i def like both tho. nice list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts