The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Solution for bolting a 3" downpipe to an O2 housing

Terry Posten

Some of you may have had this issue. You buy a fancy 3" downpipe that is all set with a reduced flange to properly fit to a hogged out stock 1G/2G O2 housing. Just like this click

Try and use the stock nuts to fasten it down and the nut hits the side of the pipe. Can't tighten them up or put a socket/wrench to forced it on.

What to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.

Well, I found the answer. Right at my local Autozone. Cost is under $12.00 for 4 nuts (only need 2) and the adapter.

Works great, have spares, tapered to self center the downpipe and really bites into the flange.

Last edited:

Sean92AWD

That is amazing. I am definatly doing this next time my d/p comes off. I have to lay under there with a crows foot wrench for what seems like hours trying too tighten it.

Terry Posten

Takes 15 seconds a nut to tighten. Worked great and 3 weeks later, came apart great and went back together easy, just like the first time.

The ONLY thing to warn you about is that the adapter stuck in one of the the nuts and when I pulled the ratchet away, the damn adapter fell and it me between the eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Had a black eye for a day and a lump for a week.

ktmrider

Dang that is a sweet idea!
Plus it covers the stud threads and may help prevent corrosion for removal down the road.

Polish

Are they stainless? I've had friends with those cheap lug nuts have them rust/seize onto the lug and they had to spend hours getting them off. It was a mess.

As cheap as they are I guess you could replace them every year but I'd hate to see them seize onto the O2 housing.

Terry Posten

I used hi-temp anti-sieze on ALL turbo/exhaust fasteners.

That should take care of that.

turbowop

Quoting Dialcaliper:
Sweet - it might even stop someone from stealing your downpipe or turbo!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This is a good idea. One of my biggest issues with dropping the transmission, is when putting the transmission back in and reassembling the car, it takes me like 45mins to get those stupid nuts on. In my case, they almost hit the downpipe, and because of that, I can't start them with a socket, since it's at a bit of an angle and the clearance is so tight. That leaves me to try to thread the first bit on by hand, but the wastegate dump tube is in the way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I always get 'em on there, but it's a pain in my ass.

89coltgt

Great idea Terry, this will def save time and aggrevation.

that is the coolest idea ive seen so far! As turboWOP said every time i myself drop the trans i swear the hardest part of the whole thing is the god damn downpipe. I tried to keep the DP and the o2 housing bolted together a couple times but it takes even longer and if i dont remove the radiator theres risk of damage... Either way im doing this for sure! Thanks for the excellent idea Terry! This should be in the how to section just for the pure knowlage of doing this

Thanks to terry's idea it was tried on my car and no more problems =). Unless you lose the key of course! Terry is right, Ive had to pull the downpipe off myself to install a muffler underneath and dang key socket nailed me in the corner of my eye.
Terry I'll have to take a picture of it installed to add to the post. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to say that this is exactly what i needed.
I swear i thought i was going crazy or i lined them up wrong.
I'm going to try it out this weekend and see if it works out for me.
This is with the stock style studs right?

If you have small kids around your house please make sure to hide the "key" somewhere where they can't reach.
I'm on the 3rd "key" now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif because my nephew just loves to hide my tools and conveniently forgets where he puts them.
You gotta love them though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

Yes to the stock style studs.

I don't think so for the EVO III O2. I think the outlet angle is wrong.

As to losing the tool, glovebox works for me.

This is for your cousin's car?
You're running a vband now aren't you?
Either way cool idea for a PIA problem.

Terry Posten

Yeah, not my car. Kevin's car, but I had the same issues for the first 3 yeras of ownership.

There is not much that is stock under my hood anymore. Let me see, blocks been modified, head is modified, ALL internals are aftermarket, intake is modified, exhaust mani/turbo/exhaust aftermarket, injectors are aftermarket, trannys biult, 4-bolt rear, etc...

The only thing that is the same part that was in my car when I bought it is the fuel rail, front rack, t-stat neck/radiator, driveshaft (soon to be re-done), and AC stuff.

Street Surgeon

No one's stealing that downpipe now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Flip4G63

Sweet! just picked mine up worked like a charm!

much better than dicking around with pry bars and turning old bolts a 1/16 at a time to get it some what tight. lol

thanks man!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned