The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Control arm replacement

BoostedAWD91

well i just picked up my new control arm today that i ordered from autozone.
its made by Dorman and this is for a 1G AWD. Autozone does not have these listed in there inventory so i just gave them the part #520-837 and they price matched rock auto's price so i got it for $85. So anyone that needs to replace a control arm, this is the best and cheapest way to go instead of paying around $250 from Mitsubishi. It comes with a ball joint and compared to the old control arm i took out of my GVR4, the only difference is the bigger bushing is maybe 1/8" shorter but my old was is quite worn out

Last edited:

steve

This is awesome. I will add this to the How-To/Info Archive section. Thanks!

Gvr4-330

Wow... wish I knew about those. I bought some from a junk yard, but I need to replace the ball joints and re-powdercoat them for them to look like that.

Rob

strokin4dr

Looking good! Let us know how the fit and finish is on these with that bushing being a bit smaller.

belize1334

Wait, isn't the rock-auto part the wrong part? If it's the one with the funny picture that doesn't match, it's actually the wrong part and they just have it inventoried wrong. If that's the case, then autozone is price-matching for the wrong part...WHICH IS AWESOME.

BoostedAWD91

rock auto's control arm listing for the galant is wrong yes, but this is listed under 1G Eclipse GSX or Talon Tsi which is what number i used for autozone to order and price match. Im going to install it either tomorrow or Friday, ill let u know how it fits

BoostedAWD91

Installed the new control arm today and everything fit perfect and snug. Took it for a test drive, everything rides smooth, no weird noises or problems anymore. So this is definatly a great way and cheap way to replace ur old worn out control arms.

How to Remove the Control Arm

First you must remove the hub. To do this u need to remove the following:
Brake Caliper bracket (17mm), Rotor, ABS Speed sensor (12mm), Axle Nut (32mm), Sway bar end link (14mm), Tie Rod end (17mm), hub from the strut (17mm) and also break loose the ball joint nut before everything is off which makes life easier

Once the hub is removed u can start removing the control arm
U have one long bolt with a nut that is a 17mm that needs to be removed

Next u need to removed the U-shaped bracket. There are two 14mm nuts and two 17mm bolts

After the bracket it off u should be able to pull it right out.
Here is a better pic of everything that holds the control arm on

Reinstall the new one and ur done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is a good example of what u dont want u dont want it to look like. this is one of the old ones that was put on the car for the good ball joint to pass inspection but made all sorts of noise and this is why. The bushing was just sliding around cause the stub is all rusted away

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

UPDATE

Well its been pretty much 4 months since i installed the autozone 1G Replacement Control Arm made by Dorman. Its holding up greatly, i have not had any problems with noise, alignment or anything for that matter. I installed it as it was right outta the box, with all new bushings. I would highly recommend these as cheap alternative to OEM and or if u have problems with ball joints not fitting. I wanted to give an update incase anyone was kinda iffy about buying thinking they wouldnt hold up or would have problems with them. Its a great product at a excellent price.

DSMTurbo2

Quote:
The only difference between a DSM control arm and a gvr4 control arm is 1 deg of caster. The Galant has a deg more than the DSM.

Where did you get this info? I have not heard this before.

Thanks for the updates. I have a pair of the Dorman units in the mail. They will be installed with some energy suspension bushings as soon as I get them. I will be sure to post as well.

vr4play

I work at an alignment shop and I own two Galants. One has 1g dsm arms the other has Gvr4 arms. One has one deg of caster the other has 2. The one had 2 before I changed the arms. It will not affect anything unless you autox you may notice a little difference but no big deal. You can buy the whiteline caster bushes if you want your caster back. Also in caps they have different part numbers.

Merging threads and adding information on where to get a good deal for these control arms

Quote:
courtesy Ken Inn
Since the only difference between the GVR4 control arm vs the TEL one is the bushing on the rear of the control arm, you should get the t/e/l arm(MB573095) list price 228.88 and a set of whiteline castor bushings

Buy the set from am-autoparts.com/ for 72.95 each shipped

OR

Go to ebay and buy both front driver and passenger side at the same am-autoparts.com for 127 shipped.

click for am-autoparts ebay link

click for am-autoparts ebay store

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts