The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mitsu Nut and bolt thread chart

Gordian79

Found this on another board.its for 2gs but we can make use of it

Nuts and Bolts

URL updated to mirrored page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dialcaliper

Seems like it might be worth saving in the How-to section.

Also, does anyone know exactly what the "hardness" markings correspond to in terms of grade (5/8) or metric class (8.8/10.8 etc)?

All I could find are (copied from Stealth 316)
Head Mark "4": 4.6, 4.8, 5.6, 5.8, 6.8
Head Mark "7": 8.8
Head Mark "8": 9.8

Some of the fasteners are marked 10 or 11, like the flywheel bolts, balance shaft sprocket and turbo bolts - I'm assuming they are somewhere in the 11.8 or 12.9 range?

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

very good find Jose /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

Barnes

I'm like 90% sure the manual actually tells you the difference between the bolt markings and what grade they correspond to.

curtis

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/grin.gif

This is going to the archives fo sure. Me don't have that power yet. Steve save this one.

Last edited:

If I may add...you can also find the size of bolts in CAPS. Just look up the bolt and the size will be in the description.

For example a bolt for the oil filter housing says "bolt, oil filter, washer assembled, 8x60" meaning it is a bolt with washer attached, and is 8mm diameter and 60mm long. The thread pitch is going to be 1.25 because on these cars the thread pitch of an 8mm bolt is always 1.25. I've looked up many bolt sizes this way and it has been a big help.

Quote:
I'm like 90% sure the manual actually tells you the difference between the bolt markings and what grade they correspond to.

Not exactly the bolt hardness, but the factory service manual does list all the bolt sizes with pitches, markings, and tightening torque in section 00, page 27. Pretty useful, as there are three grades of the same size bolts all with different torque specs according to the head marking.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts