The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Injector Clips, Clip Replacement Pictures 56k go away

Well I was browsing around our vendor products catalog at work and came across these new style injector clips from msd, we just did a fuel injection conversion on an el camino and it also had these same clips. They are very easy to pull off and on and they are very nice quality.

MSD Part #2400

Seen here: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D2400&N=700+115&autoview=sku

So I ordered a set, they come in 8 to try out since my clips had definatly seen better days, and with these cars getting older, the plastic getting brittle, hopefully this is an easy fix for some of you. However these clips come in pieces and need assembled. The kit comes with 8 clips, 16 or maybe more terminals and 8 rubber inserts to make the connection weather proof.

Now before you start crimping and assembling. I would decide on what kind of wire loom you wish you use because most likely your old stuff was trashed. Some wire loom you must slide the wire all the way through rather then be able to wrap it around. So I would take notice so that you dont end up wasting time because you forgot the wire loom.

To start off cut the old clip off (I cut them as close as I could get them). Then insert the wires into the rubber and pull the rubber up the wires as seen:

Then Insert the wires through the new clip. The polarity of injectors doesnt matter so you dont need to keep track of which wire came from which side of the old injector clip.

From there strip off a usual amount of the insulation off the wire. You will notice on the terminals that there are 2 teeth that are bigger then the others and 6 teeth (3 on each side, that are kind of grouped together) The bigger teeth crimp down on the insulation, while the set of 6 or 3 teeth however you want to look at it, crip directly on the copper wire itself.

Now that the terminal is crimped on the wire. You need to back it, back up into the clip. The terminals have a lock mechanisim that will click when they seat up in. They only go in 1 way and if you look closely, the bottom side of the terminal loops back around, and the top side sticks out and is a single piece of metal.

From there your pretty much done, just slide the rubber grommet, back into the new clip and thats it. Pretty quick and easy just as long as you get everything to go in sequence.

Austin Wright

Last edited by a moderator:

464/2K

someone move this to the How to section. nice write up.

atc250r

Staff member
Those look exactly like the ones I got from DSMotorsport except that the DS ones came with "pigtails" on them and were more expensive because of it. If I were to do it again I'd be torn between the lower price of the MSD ones and the ease of using the ones with the pigtails on them already. FWIW I'd HIGHLY recommend soldering those suckers.

John

Im not fond of soldering. But anybody that wants to can, I shouldnt hurt anything.

lunchbox

Im willing to bet the OE ones are not soldered.
In high vibration environments, I would rather have a proper crimp than a solder job. Not cheap crimp connects from walmart though.

Good find! I just went through the process of replacing injectors and ended up with 3 out of the 4 connectors broken. That 16 year old plastic is brittle.

CP

I've got a set from MachV that I have yet to install.

jepherz

Staff member
I would also recommend soldering them unless you have the proper crimp tool designed for those connectors. The factory obviously has the correct tools, so soldering isn't necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts