The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock sensor change.

gvr4ever

After a few days of pulling my hair out, I finally found a pretty easy way to do it.

At this point, anyone who hasn't changed it is probably due for sure. The reason you change it is because the backing of the knock sensor goes away and it becomes too sensitive.

New vs old.

Just for the record, that's my wifes hands, not mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The knock sensor is located under the intake manifold behind a metal plate.

If you reach your arm in sort of by the cruise control box, between a few cables, you can reach in and get a ideal on how to reach it. You will want to practice finding it and training your arm to blindly find it. Once you get a good ideal how to reach it, you will want to remove the intake (for a stock car), upper IC hose, and the speedo cable from the transmission.

With all this removed, you can reach a full size 24mm wrench in, fit the open end on the knock sensor, and have enough torque to turn it.

The one thing we had bad luck with was undoing the original knock sensor from the car. It's held on by some sort of clip and we just cut it and left it. Other then that, it isn't that bad of a job after you figure out a few things. Finding the knock sensor is going to be the hardest part about this job. If you just can't find it, then jack up the car, and look up for it above the downpipe and look below the intake manifold with a good light source. You will have a better view and some suggested removing the exhaust (downpipe) to remove it, but even tho you have a MUCH better view, I felt the knock sensor was even farther away and out of reach with the car jacked up, and it would still be hard to turn, but it is sort of easy to find from below.

Good luck

Last edited:

steve

Posted by gvr4737

Quote:
so here is some good news for everyone.

I purchased a GP Sorenson Knock sensor for a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gsx from Advanced Auto parts.

$58 it cost me and they got it the next day.

soo i pull my old knock sensor( which i baught from Mitsubishi directly $115 ) . i open the Gpsorenson box and find out that they are excactly the SAME knock sensor. The gpsorenson one says mitsubishi on it and same number, same wire colors .. same everything .. they are the identical knock sensor

soo anyone that ever needs to replace theyre knock sensor .. dont waste ur $$$ at satan . Go to advanced and order the $58 Gp Sorensen knock sensor .

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts