The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM Headlights Exposed

sleepyvr4

Well, amidst all the other crap I'm doing I find time for this. Really I'm just trying to understand how the jdm headlights work electrically, as this thread amongst some others has me debating how I am going to wire them:

JDM Wiring

So there's 3 types of JDM headlights. H4/H4 with city lights, H4/H1 with city lights (which I have), and H4/H1 with no city lights. From what I gathered (probably wrong) there were no JDM headlights that came with H3 bulbs. Here's what we got:

jdm1.jpg

jdm2.jpg

jdm3.jpg

jdm5.jpg

jdm6.jpg

jdm7.jpg

jdm8.jpg

So it's pretty basic I guess. Just had a little time to do that for us morons on the board. For the rest of us morons (who don't want to catch our cars on fire), maybe those who have wired the H4/H1 style headlights can show us. I debated, but I am not really interested in wiring them with relays, I just have too much going on. I noticed my H4 bulb is an 80watt PIAA, so that won't be going back in. My H1's are 55 watt PIAA's, and I'm sure they'll be fine with stock wiring. Speaking of wiring:

img.php

Note: I believe this diagram is as if you were looking through the front of the light.

Does this apply to the H4/H1 headlight as well?

Last edited:

You can wire it up that way, I'd just make sure you get the H4 wired correctly. If done incorrectly, you could have both filaments powered which would burn out your wires. One is higher wattage then the other also.

mistaVR4

I've had my lights wired as shown in that diagram for almost 2 years with out any issues at all! As long as you hook it up exactly like it is shown in the diagram you should be fine, it only takes about 10 minutes to do also. I've thought about upgrading wire and using relays but I see no reason to waste my time by doing so. They aren't as bright as they could be due to only one filament in the H4's working but they are still VERY frikken bright, it's all I will ever need.

EDIT: This is a great post for those that have wondered what these lights look like Sleepy! Nice work.

Last edited:

sleepyvr4

ok, so am I right when I assume that the diagram is shown from the front of the headlight? Also, where do you get h4 connectors? I checked at the autoparts store (right...) - suggestions?

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's a front pic of the city light:

jdm4.jpg

mistaVR4

Yes, it is looking through the light from the front of the car. H4 connectors can be had for about 4 bux a piece at any local autoparts store. I got 3 of mine from checker, the other one came from Napa.

-Steve

EDIT: Also the answer to your other question: Does it apply to H4/H1 headlight configuration? YES!

Last edited:

3Diamond

An interesting sidenote on these lights. He H1/H4 ones are wired a little bit differently, namely, when switching to high beams, the lower filament in H4 turns off, and the other filament, as well as the high beam H1 turn on. This effectively changes the angle of light comming out of H4, so that it matches the H1 output. Makes stuff much brighter.

Also, the EUROPEAN LIGHTS have WHITE plastic on back, while the JAPANESE have BLACK plastic on back of lights (just like VR4; the entire backside, as shown on all these pictures). And the european ones look a little more muted compared to JDM.

sleepyvr4

I found some pics of another type of jdm headlight online. Also the 2 bulb corner markers. Someone may want to elaborate on these.

e39-1-4.jpg

e39-1-5.jpg

e39-1-7.jpg

e39-1-9.jpg

they are early (87-89) jdm headlights & parker/indicators. The main front indicators are in the front bar, these indicators are only good for viewing from side on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned