The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5 lug conversion

This is for a conversion assuming you're keeping ABS.
You will need the following parts:
ABS front hubs from a 92-94 TEL

ABS rear spindles from a 92-94 TEL AWD

92-94 ABS AWD "big brake" TEL brakes rotors (or the equivilent)

4 extra lugnuts
4 new wheels

Fronts:

Remove lugnuts, remove wheel, Remove axle, remove ball joint, remove tie rod, disconnect caliper from bracket (no need to remove), remove pads, remove caliper bracket, remove ABS Sensor off of spindle (no need to remove completely), remove spindle,

Install equivalent tel stuff. Put everything back together.

Rears:

Remove lugnuts, remove wheel, remove ebrake cable from caliper, disconnect caliper from rear assy, remove pads, remove rotor, remove rear axle, remove rear axle cup, remove rear spindle.

Install equivalent TEL stuff. Put everything back together. Adjust ABS sensors according to spec.

It's simple, but typically not easy due to rust and stuck parts. You may need a puller and a ball joint remover.

Last edited by a moderator:

A few things that I can add.

I got a 1/4"x1" piece of bar stock about 3 feet long and drilled a 1/2" hole in one end. I put this on one of the lug bolts, and against the ground, to keep the hub from spinning when I remove or tighten the axle nut.

To remove the rear hubs, pull the 27mm axle nut off, and remove the cup using a three arm gear puller. Put the 27mm nut back on so you dont damage the threads and drive the hub out.

Dont even try to press out the old bearings. My 12 ton press did jack sh*t, lots of cussing and a big hammer didnt do it either. So I took everything to a machine shop and he did it all, measured all clearances, checked for proper tension, garranteed the work, and didnt charge much.

If you swapped in the whole 4 bolt LSD rear end like I did you need to reuse your old ABS lines. The 4 bolt lines use different connectors than the GVR4.

If the junkyard rear hubs you get are non-ABS dont sweat it. Your old ABS gear comes right off with a gear puller(and a cheater bar), and can be pressed on the other shaft with a 1 1/2" pipe.

Some(not all)non-ABS front hubs have the holes for mounting the ABS ring. So thats an easy swap too.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
91 model year ABS equipped TEL parts will work as well, unless you need the 4 bolt for the rear, but the cups interchange of course.
I exchanged the complete rear trailing arm assemblies so I did not have to pull rear bearings. Maybe not easier as removing the rear ABS sensors was a bitch without ruining those costly things.

Currently though, my ABS light comes on after 1 mile of driving. I suspect sensor ring mismatch (tooth counting) but I have not confirmed the code yet. I believe Drew has a light as well. Have you diagnosed yet Drew?

quote:Originally posted by iceman69510:
91 model year ABS equipped TEL parts will work as well, unless you need the 4 bolt for the rear, but the cups interchange of course.
I exchanged the complete rear trailing arm assemblies so I did not have to pull rear bearings. Maybe not easier as removing the rear ABS sensors was a bitch without ruining those costly things.

Currently though, my ABS light comes on after 1 mile of driving. I suspect sensor ring mismatch (tooth counting) but I have not confirmed the code yet. I believe Drew has a light as well. Have you diagnosed yet Drew?
My ABS light does the same thing after I had the 5lug converstion done. Is there anyway to diagnose it or does have something to do w/ one of the ABS sensors being out of whack?? It bothers me to know that the light is on.

ABS light on here too. I have the GVR4 ABS rings, so I'll put them in when I replace the rear bearings.

Well here's the interesting thing. When I swapped the Galant hubs onto the donor Eclipse, I didn't have any problems. That's why I suspect that It's the sensors not being gapped properly.

My abs light also comes on. But before my light comes on my brakes fail, then the light comes on. I had to disconect the abs computer.
Jose.....

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
quote:Originally posted by drew:
Well here's the interesting thing. When I swapped the Galant hubs onto the donor Eclipse, I didn't have any problems. That's why I suspect that It's the sensors not being gapped properly. But did you ever drive it far enough to know the light WOULD not come on? Just curious, as you and I have discussed the counting issue before. I will be able in about a week to get a code off mine to see what is setting, if it is a specific sensor or something else.

Bigfoot, the sensor rings mount differently to the front hubs on the two cars. Let us know how you get around that. There may also be only 4 cutouts in the sensor ring for the hub bolts. You may have to modify it to match.

Bigfoot, the sensor rings mount differently to the front hubs on the two cars. Let us know how you get around that.
I didnt, I used 5 bolt rings. I grabbed a non-ABS hub by mistake so I had to go get a ring and bolt it on.

Went out and counted the front rings on the Talon(wheels are already off)47. Dont know about the 5 bolt rear rings.

The 4 bolt front rings, 86. The rear 4 bolt rings, 43. 1/2 of 86. That explains the ABS light.

The 4 bolt hub is threaded, but on the 5 bolt the ring is threaded. I could use nuts and bolts to use the 4 bolt rings. Like you said, the 4 bolt has cutouts for only 4 lugs. Its got plenty of metal, I could drill some more holes. Although I wouldn't want lose an alignment pin because a hole needs to be there.

It might be easier to use a different ABS computor and keep the 5 bolt front and rear rings that are already in.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Thanks Drew. I knew your car had been down a while since the conversion, but if you did get miles on it that is interesting.

Bigfoot, certainly don't put in the GVR4 rear rings with the TEL fronts. I know you will get a counting problem from that. TEL uses 47F/47R, while the GVR4 uses 86F/43R, so it expects that 2:1 ratio. I don't have a clue if the TEL system has a compatible ABS ECU or not. I understood from your post you had used the TEL rings, that's why I used future tense to ask you to let us know if it worked in case you tried it as you suggested you might.

The different designs on the mounting of the front ABS rings is why I did not just have the front hubs redrilled for 5 lugs, because I would still have had to modify them to fit. Maybe simpler in hindsight though...

1) looks better (IMHO)
2) more availability of rims (style, size, etc)

The reason I did it was because I had a donor 93 GSX, where I transferred the eclipse 4 bolt rear end, 5 lug hubs, 16" stock wheels, and ps fluid reservoir out to the Galant, and put all the respective Galant bits onto the Eclipse.
grin.gif

and according to RockinWRX, 5 lugs can hold the power better on high hp applications
rolleyes.gif

Hertz

Staff member
and according to RockinWRX, 5 lugs can hold the power better on high hp applications
rolleyes.gif
Way to dust that one off!

Well here's the interesting thing. When I swapped the Galant hubs onto the donor Eclipse, I didn't have any problems. That's why I suspect that It's the sensors not being gapped properly. But did you ever drive it far enough to know the light WOULD not come on? Just curious, as you and I have discussed the counting issue before. I will be able in about a week to get a code off mine to see what is setting, if it is a specific sensor or something else.

Bigfoot, the sensor rings mount differently to the front hubs on the two cars. Let us know how you get around that. There may also be only 4 cutouts in the sensor ring for the hub bolts. You may have to modify it to match.
I want to revive this thread as i just purchaced Jose's car and want to get the ABS working.

I need it in all the snow up here. Did you find anything out about the code eor if the TEL computers work?

Hehe good luck with our ABS in the snow. I think is sucks. I definitely stop faster pumping myself than the abs does, even with the snow tires.

quote:Originally posted by Pivvay:
Hehe good luck with our ABS in the snow. I think is sucks. I definitely stop faster pumping myself than the abs does, even with the snow tires. I disagree. #120 Has ABS and it works perfectly in the snow. That's why i want it working in #1571.

I vote w/ Pivvay - worst ABS ever [you know the proper way to say it
grin.gif
]. The only time it is useful is on ice, otherwise it is a safety hazard IMO. My Talon AWD w/ worse tires and no ABS stops so much better under the same conditions. Too bad central OH has a lot of icy roads or I'd drop the ABS entirely.

Back on topic, I'm going the other way with the 5-lug and simply redrilling the GVR4 ABS ring for the 5-lug hub up front and reusing the stock ABS ring in the back. That way I can get cheap TEL donor parts from the local U-Wrench-It.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts